Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Line-Side Tap on Residence

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    That's a good way to do it.

You can use a circuit breaker instead of a fused disco. But the only reason I can think of for doing so is if you have a combined panel for your solar, and you want to save a piece of equipment.
    Another reason might be if your AHJ requires a bladed disconnect with a visible break. Nearly all the AHJs I deal with have such a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    Another reason might be if your AHJ requires a bladed disconnect with a visible break. Nearly all the AHJs I deal with have such a requirement.
    True. I ultimately went with a 30A, bladed, fusible disconnect.

I'm not sure if it will work with the AHJ, but my equipment call-out goes like this:

Array on roof --> DC optimizer circuit runs through the attic in LFMC --> Inverter in garage --> Bladed, fusible disconnect in garage --> conduit then goes outside to the enclosure where the feeder tap is made. Enclosure is next to main panel. Length of tap (inverter to enclosure) is less than 10-ft.

I was unsure if I could separate the bladed disconnect from the tap enclosure. However, the disconnect in the main is so close, I figured it would suffice. The bladed disconnect is also useful to have in the garage because the inverter is there.

Andy

Sounds fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.tkelly View Post
    True. I ultimately went with a 30A, bladed, fusible disconnect.

I'm not sure if it will work with the AHJ, but my equipment call-out goes like this:

Array on roof --> DC optimizer circuit runs through the attic in LFMC --> Inverter in garage --> Bladed, fusible disconnect in garage --> conduit then goes outside to the enclosure where the feeder tap is made. Enclosure is next to main panel. Length of tap (inverter to enclosure) is less than 10-ft.

I was unsure if I could separate the bladed disconnect from the tap enclosure. However, the disconnect in the main is so close, I figured it would suffice. The bladed disconnect is also useful to have in the garage because the inverter is there.

Andy
    The AHJs I deal with require the bladed disco to be on the outside wall so that they can get to it even if you aren't home. They also require that it be lockable in the OFF position. Sometimes this causes us to have to run the conductors both ways through the wall.