Thread: Service change

Service change

I'm changing the panel and meter on my sons house. It's a recessed meter, which I'll remove and fill in with some siding, then meter riser etc. The panel is a 125 amp CH panel, so I'm changing to a 200 amp main breaker. I'll be changing breaker for breaker, not adding any circuits. If I am correct in my research, I don't have to replace any breakers with Arc-Fault breakers?
    Thanks

Local jurisdiction issue. In most places you would be correct but I'd run it by your AHJ.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by bark View Post
    I'm changing the panel and meter on my sons house. It's a recessed meter, which I'll remove and fill in with some siding, then meter riser etc. The panel is a 125 amp CH panel, so I'm changing to a 200 amp main breaker. I'll be changing breaker for breaker, not adding any circuits. If I am correct in my research, I don't have to replace any breakers with Arc-Fault breakers?
    Thanks
    Arc flash breaker for main is that the question?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

No arc fault on the main. Never heard of that for a house. Just individual branch circuits, nothing new added just original circuits. This is in Washington State.

You are good to go without AFCI in WA, as long as you don't modify more than 6 feet.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

In OH, as I understand it....maintenance or repair.
    As long as it is an exact replaced in capacity and number of circuits.
    AHJ might ask why are you bumping capacity if not planning on running circuits to say a sub-panel later.

Quote Originally Posted by MyCleveland View Post
    In OH, as I understand it....maintenance or repair.
    As long as it is an exact replaced in capacity and number of circuits.
    AHJ might ask why are you bumping capacity if not planning on running circuits to say a sub-panel later.
    Yes, but in that case only the new circuits have to be compliant. At least, that's the way it would be in NJ.

That's what I thought, no afci. But if I relocate the panel from the front of the house to the side about 25', then install romex from the new panel to the old panels location and splice all the circuits, would this then require the afci breakers? I'm not adding circuits but I'm adding wire length to re-feed the existing circuits. The original meter is a flush 125 amp in brick. I'm looking at filling in the opening in the brick with plywood siding, about 11"x15", then mounting the meter base and installing the new panel inside the wall, so as not to move the panel location at all. That's what I hoping to do anyway.