User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closet Lights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Closet Lights

Any one know if there is a retro fit LED recess trim that is "identified for use in the closet storage area"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our jurisdiction Halo RL series LED trims - RL560 and RL460 trims have been approved for use in a "closet storage space" - directly over a closet shelf - no clearance.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...8021en-sss.pdf

See the attached spec sheet above under "compliance"

I'm not speaking of UL listing with other manufacturers housings - just Halo products.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that info.

Quote Originally Posted by dclauria View Post
    In our jurisdiction Halo RL series LED trims - RL560 and RL460 trims have been approved for use in a "closet storage space" - directly over a closet shelf - no clearance.

I'm not speaking of UL listing with other manufacturers housings - just Halo products.
    What a shame, The supply houses could not answer that question for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do these come in eyeball-type as well? Or just flat trims?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the rest of us, those fixtures can NOT be placed inside the closet storage space. The "Compliance" section of that spec sheet cites "410.16 (C)(3)", which requires 6 inches between the fixture and closet storage area.

If it could go inside the storage area it would have instead claimed 410.16 (C)(5)

The only such light I've found is Legrande's 277FL. And the brochure doesn't speak to whether it satisfied C- 410 (C)(5), but I called Legrand, and was told that out does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Netpog View Post
    For the rest of us, those fixtures can NOT be placed inside the closet storage space. The "Compliance" section of that spec sheet cites "410.16 (C)(3)", which requires 6 inches between the fixture and closet storage area.

If it could go inside the storage area it would have instead claimed 410.16 (C)(5)

The only such light I've found is Legrande's 277FL. And the brochure doesn't speak to whether it satisfied C- 410 (C)(5), but I called Legrand, and was told that out does.
    I disagree. (5) only deals with surface mounted luminaires not recessed. If an LED recessed trim has been specifically tested and UL listed for use in the closet storage space (like the 2 Halo models above) it does not have to comply with any of the storage space restrictions. Otherwise it would defeat the reason for special testing and listing.
    Curt Swartz
    Electrical Contractor

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also say that this trim is not suitable for use over the closet storage space. Look at the specific code sections- they state 6" etc....

It also states for use in closets but it does not state over storage areas
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    I also say that this trim is not suitable for use over the closet storage space. Look at the specific code sections- they state 6" etc....

It also states for use in closets but it does not state over storage areas
    Interesting that when I open the spec sheets links in this topic it just states closets. I have used 1000's of these trims over the years and have seen storage space marked on the box. I did some looking around Halo's web site and found another spec sheet for the same trims that state they comply with 410.16(C)(5)

The wording for this section is confusing and I think the manufactures are having a hard time with it too.
    Curt Swartz
    Electrical Contractor

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that the storage area is not the entire closet but just the area where defined in art. 410. Most fixtures are not rated for over the storage area. They do make an LED closet rod that would work in the closet space.

They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sam asher View Post
    Any one know if there is a retro fit LED recess trim that is "identified for use in the closet storage area"
    If retrofitting, the original can shouldn't have been in the storage area to begin with.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.