Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 56

Thread: Disconnecting means

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    No, it would make no sense.

    Main breaker in panel not even required. You have a main service OCPD in the fused disco. It is protecting the panel already.

    Think about it.
    Well main in breaker in panel is to protect the panel.

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cherry Valley NY, Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,629
    Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    Well main in breaker in panel is to protect the panel.

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    if you have a fused disco, you don't need a MB panel, just main lug.

    edit: unless you needed to protect the panel per 408.36, but you should coordinate the panel rating with the fuses in the disco.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

    "You can't generalize"

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    3 Hr 2 Min from Winged Horses
    Posts
    15,218
    Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    Well main in breaker in panel is to protect the panel.

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    Panel is double protected. Fuses and breaker-twice. Overkill, not a problem, but waste of money.

    Fuses protect feeder (from disco) and panel. A MLO panel would work. Think about it.....
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin


    Derek

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tennessee NEC:2008
    Posts
    4,781
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    Panel is double protected. Fuses and breaker-twice. Overkill, not a problem, but waste of money.

    Fuses protect feeder (from disco) and panel. A MLO panel would work. Think about it.....
    Many times I can buy a main breaker panel with breakers (contractor pack) cheaper than a MLO panel. That's counting having to buy breakers separate for the MLO.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cherry Valley NY, Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    Many times I can buy a main breaker panel with breakers (contractor pack) cheaper than a MLO panel. That's counting having to buy breakers separate for the MLO.
    Single phase, for sure. Three phase, def not. Don't remember if OP said what this is.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

    "You can't generalize"

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    3 Hr 2 Min from Winged Horses
    Posts
    15,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    Many times I can buy a main breaker panel with breakers (contractor pack) cheaper than a MLO panel. That's counting having to buy breakers separate for the MLO.
    My point was double protection not needed. Breaker is superfluous.

    How about waste of resources?
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin


    Derek

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    3 Hr 2 Min from Winged Horses
    Posts
    15,218
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    Single phase, for sure. Three phase, def not. Don't remember if OP said what this is.
    400A 208Y/120V 3 phase.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin


    Derek

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    9,933
    Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    Well main in breaker in panel is to protect the panel.

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    If you have a fused disco it's already protected.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    3 Hr 2 Min from Winged Horses
    Posts
    15,218
    Am I the only one who gets a little disoriented every time I glance at Rob’s picture?

    The black stripes seem to twist. Kinda cool really.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin


    Derek

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    23,353
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    Am I the only one who gets a little disoriented every time I glance at Rob’s picture?

    The black stripes seem to twist. Kinda cool really.
    Which picture is that?
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •