Thread: PIGTAILS AT RECEPTACLES

PIGTAILS AT RECEPTACLES

Is a smaller gauge wire allowed for a pigtail. ex: on a 20 recpt can 14 awg be used as a pigtail? My reading of 210.19(A)(4) would say No.

I would agree with your reading.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

The pigtails need to match the size of the OCPD or be larger. You could have a #8 pigtail on a 40 amp circuit with a single 50 amp receptacle.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

RECEPTACLES PIGTAILS PART 2

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Alexander View Post
    Is a smaller gauge wire allowed for a pigtail. ex: on a 20 recpt can 14 awg be used as a pigtail? My reading of 210.19(A)(4) would say No.
    Ive had the argument that this is a tap (NOT!) but I was wondering about, since the pigtail is typically THHN 14 it is rated by 310.15 as 20-25 amps, would this allow the 14 awg pigtail on a 20 amp circuit?

Ive had the argument that this is a tap (NOT!) but I was wondering about, since the pigtail is typically THHN 14 it is rated by 310.15 as 20-25 amps, would this allow the 14 awg pigtail on a 20 amp circuit?
    No, small breaker rules, 240.4(D)
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

The ampacity of a #14 pigtail is 15 amps so you cannot exceed a 15 amp OCPD. Jumper gave you the code reference.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

If this were HID luminaires it is possible to do what OP mentioned. See 410.62(C)(2). could have a 50 amp circuit with lesser rated receptacles tapped to that circuit for the luminaires. Tap conductor and receptacle in such application only needs to be 125% or luminaire rated current.

Most other applications not allowed though.