Thread: Article 555 - GFCI Protection

Article 555 - GFCI Protection

Im working on a new floating structure under the NEC 2011. We have a small condensate pump (208v - Single Phase) that is currently fed from a GFCI breaker located within the panel, within the floating structure. The GFCI breaker keeps tripping after the pump cycles on. Does anyone know if Article 555 requires all branch circuits within a panel to be GFCI protected, even if they are NOT 120v?

Quote Originally Posted by Npstewart View Post
    Im working on a new floating structure under the NEC 2011. We have a small condensate pump (208v - Single Phase) that is currently fed from a GFCI breaker located within the panel, within the floating structure. The GFCI breaker keeps tripping after the pump cycles on. Does anyone know if Article 555 requires all branch circuits within a panel to be GFCI protected, even if they are NOT 120v?
    Whether GFCI is required or not, I think you need to figure out what is wrong.

Might be tripping on overload instead of GFCI, in which case you will still have the problem if you eliminate GFCI.

Quote Originally Posted by Npstewart View Post
    I do not believe it does but I would be asking first, why is it tripping rather than can I remove it. Code be damned, life safety first.

1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4BILI7Y 70 4D4P7 70 CH4NG3.