Thread: Horn plus strobe in commercial restroom?

Horn plus strobe in commercial restroom?

Do I need to include both a horn and strobe in a commercial single purpose bathroom?

Quote Originally Posted by nietzj View Post
    Do I need to include both a horn and strobe in a commercial single purpose bathroom?
    Technically, yes. Discuss with the AHJ if he'll let you drop the horn. Even at their lowest db settings, for most restrooms in a commercial office building the sound level will be literally painful. If this were a voice system, at a tap setting of 1/8 watt you'd probably be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by nietzj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Technically, yes
    Where do you find that requirement?

As long as you meet the required sounds levels, you meet Code.
    The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

Your research normally would start with the adopted building code for the jurisdiction you are working.

For example, if you are in a 2018 IBC area, you would look in Section 907.5 for Occupant Notification.

A bathroom is typically considered public use or common use areas and would get a strobe. A nearby horn may suffice if it is loud enough to penetrate the door and still be 15dba above ambient.

https://codes.iccsafe.org/public/doc...safety-systems
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by dkidd View Post
    Where do you find that requirement?

As long as you meet the required sounds levels, you meet Code.
    As a practical matter, I can guarantee that if you put a horn immediately outside the bathroom set to 99 db (the highest setting I know of for standard FA horns) and then close the door, you will NOT meet the minimum audibility requirements inside the bathroom. If you are using something like a System Sensor SpectrAlert 2-wire device it's no big deal to substitute a horn/strobe for a strobe-only so feel free to experiment. Make sure the db meter is calibrated.