Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64

Thread: Electric Theory

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    12

    Electric Theory

    Why does electricity go back to its source?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,169
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymiller View Post
    Why does electricity go back to its source?
    Because you closed the switch!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC & IN
    Posts
    3,380
    Well their have been and will continue to be many books written on the subject. Some disagreeing with the other,
    In short I'll say, The same reason a Salmon returns to where it was born to lay its eggs or to spawn.
    It's a form of nature,
    Like the node in a human heart that creates an electrical pulse.

    Don't ask an atom any thing, as it starts every thing.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    19,256
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymiller View Post
    Why does electricity go back to its source?
    To the extent that an electric current is the result of moving electrical charges, those charges or their equivalent quantity of charge must return to the source to avoid a buildup of charge which would cause a voltage offset. That voltage offset would eventually be enough to stop current from flowing by opposing the force that is making them move in the first place.
    This is one of the weaknesses of the water analogy for electricity, in that people do not tend to immediately realize that water eventually returns to its source too, via evaporation, rainfall, and a host of other background processes.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
    Posts
    7,742
    First law of thermodynamics:
    Energy cannot be created nor destroyed, just moved around (paraphrased of course).

    It has to come from somewhere, so eventually is has to go back there.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    First law of thermodynamics:
    Energy cannot be created nor destroyed, just moved around (paraphrased of course).

    It has to come from somewhere, so eventually is has to go back there.
    Nicely stated.

    Back in the day, The Firesign Theater had a concept: Fudd's First Law of Opposition. Loosely stated, "What ever comes out, must go in."
    Another Al in Minnesota

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    SCV Ca, USA
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by al hildenbrand View Post
    Nicely stated.

    Back in the day, The Firesign Theater had a concept: Fudd's First Law of Opposition. Loosely stated, "What ever comes out, must go in."
    Interesting!
    But how would that explain light energy. You shoot a LASER BEAM into space and it doesn't come back does it?
    Perhaps in the form of Bud LIght ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    9,445
    Quote Originally Posted by al hildenbrand View Post
    Nicely stated.

    Back in the day, The Firesign Theater had a concept: Fudd's First Law of Opposition. Loosely stated, "What ever comes out, must go in."
    Actually, Sir Sydney Fudd's First Law of Opposition is: "If you push something hard enough it will fall over." He discovered it when he pushed his wife down the stairs.

    You must be thinking of Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's First Law: "It goes in, it must come out."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,775
    Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    Actually, Sir Sydney Fudd's First Law of Opposition is: "If you push something hard enough it will fall over." He discovered it when he pushed his wife down the stairs.

    You must be thinking of Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's First Law: "It goes in, it must come out."
    ...........
    Another Al in Minnesota

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymiller View Post
    Why does electricity go back to its source?
    Good question.

    I'm just a peon, it's above my pay grade.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •