Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sub panel main breaker

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    I would say that detached is defined as not attached. Having to go outside to another door is no different than going to another room inside, in my opinion.
    I tend to agree. The reason I brought this up is the following case (my residence):

I have a pool house with a 100A MLO panel with 16 spaces, 10 used. The pool house is 20 feet from my house where the feeder originates. A brick wall on my house extends away from the house and 20 feet later, it becomes a wall of the pool house.

By this definition, they are indeed attached. And that what the pool installer who put in the panel told me when I asked him about it. He is a licensed EC.

I just look at it subjectively and wonder if it meets the intent of the rule!!??

In this instance, I would have to say that the brick wall does not qualify the two structures as attached. A properly-secured back-fed breaker would suffice.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Arguably if you have a feeder between 2 structures you have attached them ( tongue firmly in cheek)

At some point the cost of a common mass produced panel with a main breaker is cheaper than the cost of figuring out if you have a detached structure or not. IMHO the brick wall that retirede describes ties the two buildings into a single structure, but this misses the intent of the code.

Along the same vein but going in the opposite direction: If you have a pole mounted panel a couple of feet away from the building served, IMHO they are technically separate structures but per a common sense understanding of the code should be considered one structure.

Back to the OP, you are only permitted a single feeder (with some exceptions) to a detached structure, and must have a disconnect at the detached structure. I agree with what others have said: the inspector was correct in requiring a main disconnect, but incorrect in requiring a 50A breaker when a 100A breaker would serve as that disconnect.

-Jon

Quote Originally Posted by winnie View Post
    Arguably if you have a feeder between 2 structures you have attached them ( tongue firmly in cheek)
    Well with that kind of approach - everyone tied to public grid is all part of one really big structure.