Thread: Group LockBox System

Group LockBox System

Under a Group Lock Box System where should the lockbox be located? Some at my work site say it should be located in view of the energy isolating device. Others say it should be located in the office of the Electrical Competent person. Others say it does not matter where it is located.

Concern being that under a LOTO protocol person(s) who have locks and tags attached to energy isolating devices need to physically check their locks and tags before commencing work to ensure that conditions have not changed. If the lockbox is located remote from the energy isolating device then their could be tempetation to not physically check the energy isolating device.

Comments appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by TVH View Post
    Under a Group Lock Box System where should the lockbox be located? Some at my work site say it should be located in view of the energy isolating device. Others say it should be located in the office of the Electrical Competent person. Others say it does not matter where it is located.

Concern being that under a LOTO protocol person(s) who have locks and tags attached to energy isolating devices need to physically check their locks and tags before commencing work to ensure that conditions have not changed. If the lockbox is located remote from the energy isolating device then their could be tempetation to not physically check the energy isolating device.

Comments appreciated.
    I've seen it multiple ways. At one facility a supervisor was in charge of placing locks on equipment and keys in lockbox, which was then left in a designated spot (operators pulpit) for employees to hang their locks. Have also had to have box at machine center so that it was easily visible to people working on equipment.

"In view of" may not be possible if energy sources are in different locations i.e. MCC room and pneumatic valve at machine