Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Junction Box Location

Quote Originally Posted by giovanni0502 View Post
    I would label the outside of the panel cover. Most troubleshooting would involve the panel at some point I would assume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a good idea.
    Write down the GPS coordinates of each J-box and circuit number on the panel cover.
    That way you could find the problem easily with your phone on those 130 degree days crawling around in the attic.

JAP>

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    That's a good idea.
    Write down the GPS coordinates of each J-box and circuit number on the panel cover.
    That way you could find the problem easily with your phone on those 130 degree days crawling around in the attic.

JAP>
    As accurate as most cell phones seem to be when you try to be within just a foot or two for accuracy - mine would be telling me what I am looking for is 10 more feet north, when I am already at the furthest north portion of said attic

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    As accurate as most cell phones seem to be when you try to be within just a foot or two for accuracy - mine would be telling me what I am looking for is 10 more feet north, when I am already at the furthest north portion of said attic
    I was somewhat joking about this to begin with.

I'm so old fashion I'd have to have an active Wifi to use my phone or my wife would scold me for using the extra data.

JAP>

I was somewhat joking about this to begin with.

I'm so old fashion I'd have to have an active Wifi to use my phone or my wife would scold me for using the extra data.

JAP>
    I sort of was joking also, but I do use my phone or even google maps to measure long runs quite often, but you have to learn to pad the measurement some or you may find out it wasn't accurate and end up short if you order materials with your GPS measurements. Were talking measurements of 200-3000 feet at times. "Roll-a-tape" never comes up with same measurement twice on those 1000'+ measurements unless you are measuring on a paved surface.

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    Yeah good point. There is no allowance or exception in there for flagging . This was seattle city that told me that and they are generally more easy going than the state inspectors
    What? The state of seattle is more easier going that our state inspectors?
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    What? The state of seattle is more easier going that our state inspectors?
    That is my experience. Was your response sarcastic or are you actually suprised? L&I asks to see my card frequently. Never had DCI ask.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Although I can see a flag being helpful, I have to stop and laugh at some of the local rules some of you guys have to follow.

JAP>
    I think the WA state rule is great, tho I could live with a compromise of "no boxes or condulets hidden, obscured, or buried by removable insulation of any type, unless its location is marked directly above by clear signage attached to the framing members".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Burying jboxes in insulation is a dick move imo. I would never screw the next man who might have to find it or work on it, which inevitably will be late in the afternoon on a hot August day, and inevitably be ME.

Quote Originally Posted by giovanni0502 View Post
    I would label the outside of the panel cover. Most troubleshooting would involve the panel at some point I would assume.
    Good idea. Inside sheet may be better, tho either way making some effort for the next guy is always appreciated, probably because it's so seldomly done.
    Last edited by JFletcher; 02-15-18 at 01:19 AM.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Burying jboxes in insulation is a dick move imo.
    It's not that big a deal.
    If done correctly the splice will last as long as the permanent wiring.

If not, then they call me.

JAP>

It's not that big a deal.
    If done correctly the splice will last as long as the permanent wiring.

If not, then they call me.

JAP>
    Yeah I think the no buried j-box rule is stupid. It's a design issue.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    Yeah I think the no buried j-box rule is stupid. It's a design issue.
    Put them up between overhead framing members in a low clearance crawl space and even with no insulation they can be difficult to find, but still are "accessible".

And above suspended ceiling that has thermal insulation laying on the tiles - PIA.