Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Junction Box Location

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    It's not that big a deal.
    If done correctly the splice will last as long as the permanent wiring.

If not, then they call me.

JAP>
    It's not so much that the splice will fail so much as you may need to add something to that circuit like this weekend when I had to add a closet light on to an existing lighting circuit. Digging through 24 inch of blown-in insulation to find that junction box was none too fun, although it would'nt have been much better had there been 50 tags in the Attic saying "J box below". So I see your point, I guess it's just me that hates blown in insulation LOL.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

When I first started in this trade the guy I worked with seemed to like to put a lot of j boxes in attics, even on new construction. I think the idea was that we might use less copper, eliminate the need to run multiple cables down to switches, receptacles etc in many cases and maybe even get by with smaller volume outlet/switch boxes. But I don't know that we really saved that much considering we had additional boxes in the attic plus the time to make them all up. I got away from that practice to some extent even when I still worked for that same person and became journeyman and was making more on the job decisions myself. Now I hardly ever put a junction box in an attic on new construction. Existing construction can still be pretty convenient to use them at times though.

Still a lot of places out there that had existing junction boxes and then someone came in and covered them with insulation though.

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    It's not so much that the splice will fail so much as you may need to add something to that circuit like this weekend when I had to add a closet light on to an existing lighting circuit. Digging through 24 inch of blown-in insulation to find that junction box was none too fun, although it would'nt have been much better had there been 50 tags in the Attic saying "J box below". So I see your point, I guess it's just me that hates blown in insulation LOL.
    Find what junction box?

Evidently you knew there was a junction box already in the attic or you wouldn't have been digging around looking for it to begin with.

If you're talking about not being able to find an existing ceiling fixture box that you can see from below when you're in the attic, then, that is a problem.

JAP>