Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Table 250.102 (C) (1)

what is a single phase delta

not clear why you're asking the question? surely you know the answer. if on the other hand you're trying to make a particular point, please let me in on what that would be.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohmboyz View Post
    not clear why you're asking the question? surely you know the answer. if on the other hand you're trying to make a particular point, please let me in on what that would be.

thanks
    Your terminology, a pun. A delta by its make up is three phase. You were referring to the tranny that is center tapped for single phase from a delta set up.

There is no such thing as a single phase delta tranny.

See?
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

well dang if i haven't been wrong all these years

i've worked as a licensed sparktrician for more than thirty years. Whether in Chi-town, the western North Carolina mountains, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio, a single family residential service was commonly understood to be fed from a three phase delta transformer,hence the 240/120/ voltage and the peculiar 240/120/plus c leg stinger for a three phase panel.

now, come to find out me and a bunch of other fools been swallowed up by a bermuda triangle.

i've worked as a licensed sparktrician for more than thirty years. Whether in Chi-town, the western North Carolina mountains, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio, a single family residential service was commonly understood to be fed from a three phase delta transformer,hence the 240/120/ voltage and the peculiar 240/120/plus c leg stinger for a three phase panel.

now, come to find out me and a bunch of other fools been swallowed up by a bermuda triangle.
    Wow, they really call a single center tapped tranny a delta? Totally incorrect.

While the properties of the two are similar in regards to deriving 120/240V, the term delta is only appropriate to the three phase system.

Deltas with one tranny center tapped for 120/240. Note that corner grounded and ungrounded deltas exist also, but no 120V is derived from those set ups.

Name:  751ACD27-96CA-4C07-B382-651B4ECEB690.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  16.7 KB
    Last edited by jumper; 02-15-18 at 08:15 PM.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

If you're asking me, no, I don't know the answer and I'm not trying to make a point.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Open delta triangle obviously

OK guys, let's please not let language get in the way of communication.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.