Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question Grounding and Bonding Article 250

Question Grounding and Bonding Article 250

Attached pdf shows riser. In riser #1 is of ATM 1 and ATM 2 . #2 in the riser is the service disconnect. #8 is the utility pole. #5 are ground rods in the riser. #6 is grounding electrode conductor. #9 is equipment grounding conductor.

It shows service system ground electrode system connected to ATM 1 and ATM 2 and the service disconnect. The ATMs are far apart from the service disconnect. Can I do the grounding electrode system connection as shown on the diagram or does it violate NEC 2014?
    Attached Images Attached Images

You could , but it wouldn't be prudent

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Parrish View Post
    You could , but it wouldn't be prudent
    Can you please explain? Is their anything in Nec 2014 that says i cant do that? ATM 1 and 2 are structures so that would need to be grounded but I am not sure about using the same electrodes as service disconnect. All the ground rods are tied together. What if I sperated connection of ground rods meaning no comnection at all?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    Can you please explain? Is their anything in Nec 2014 that says i cant do that? ATM 1 and 2 are structures so that would need to be grounded but I am not sure about using the same electrodes as service disconnect. All the ground rods are tied together. What if I sperated connection of ground rods meaning no comnection at all?

There is a note on your diagram that says tie together where practical. So it is up to the installer.

No Code violation on tying them together. No Code violation on not tying them together.

Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit2 View Post
    There is a note on your diagram that says tie together where practical. So it is up to the installer.

No Code violation on tying them together. No Code violation on not tying them together.
    That note should not be there. Post #2 says doing as shown would not be preudent. How so?

That note should not be there. Post #2 says doing as shown would not be preudent. How so? Does it create path for neutral to flow?

You need to look up the word "prudent".

Post #4 has your answer.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

I don't see a meter or a service disconnect?

For the grounding, you should run a ground wire with the supply (branch circuit) to each ATM.

If the ATM is a considered a "separate structure" then there should be a grounding electrode (ground rod or CCE) at each ATM.

I think its that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    I don't see a meter or a service disconnect?

For the grounding, you should run a ground wire with the supply (branch circuit) to each ATM.

If the ATM is a considered a "separate structure" then there should be a grounding electrode (ground rod or CCE) at each ATM.

I think its that simple.
    Do you see utility pole #8 left side well downstream of that is service panelboard #2 with meter but the service panelboard does not have main breaker. There are feeder breakers to ATM from the service panelboard label #13.

ATM is seperate structure. I suppose cannot use service entrance electrode system. Where in NEC it says that?

Last edited by codequestion; 02-14-18 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    Do you see utility pole #8 left side well downstream of that is service panelboard #2 with meter but the service panelboard does not have main breaker. There are feeder breakers to ATM from the service panelboard label #13.

ATM is seperate structure. I suppose cannot use service entrance electrode system. Where in NEC it says that?

If #13 Is service rated and no more than six throws to disconnect it is the service disconnect.

As long as ATM # 1 and ATM #2 does not bond the neutral you are ok. Bond the disconnect enclosure to the grounding electrode system.

What your engineer is showing is a site grounding system and there is nothing in the NEC that prohibits this

In fact some prefer the grounding electrode system be all bonded together on a site