Thread: HVAC Service receptacle and light

HVAC Service receptacle and light

As it is a requirement to have a Service receptacle and light on a rooftop H.V.A.C. equipment. Is it possible to use a transformer to be tapped from the 240 Volt feeders that would step down voltage to have 120 volt receptacle and light powered from the feeders making the tap ahead of the service disconnect. ( i imagine this could be done with 2 legs of three phase conductors in each case there is no grounded conductor run from the power source.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rooftop hvac.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	19650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rooftop 5 hvac.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	19651  

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddynuz2 View Post
    As it is a requirement to have a Service receptacle and light on a rooftop H.V.A.C. equipment. Is it possible to use a transformer to be tapped from the 240 Volt feeders that would step down voltage to have 120 volt receptacle and light powered from the feeders making the tap ahead of the service disconnect. ( i imagine this could be done with 2 legs of three phase conductors in each case there is no grounded conductor run from the power source.
    I’m not required to have light, just a receptacle. Yes, you could tap the feeders but you will now need to include the transformer load into the calculation for that feeder. Add CB/fuse protection for the transformer, line and/or load side. GEC?

I have have seen where RTUs have a receptacle included. Handy.
    Tom
    TBLO