Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Approved wiring for under-cabinet lights

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    411.6(D) (2014 NEC)

NM cable falls under (3).

Yes but you have to use jb's etc. That was what we were told by a cmp member. Besides I never said you couldn't use nm...
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Yes but you have to use jb's etc. That was what we were told by a cmp member. Besides I never said you couldn't use nm...
    Are you saying you could "open splice" CL2 cables but if you had same setup but used NM cable those same splices must be in a junction box?

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Are you saying you could "open splice" CL2 cables but if you had same setup but used NM cable those same splices must be in a junction box?
    That is my understanding

That is my understanding
    Though I think that is stupid, I can see how it can be interpreted that way.

Probably one of the ones that think AFCIs work.

No. If you use NM in a CL2 circuit you certainly can open splice- and cut the ground wire off to boot. But why would you use NM when there are lots of CL2 listed cables that can be concealed within the walls.

The only time you need to use a Chapter 3 wiring method like NM is when you have something larger than CL2 or CL3. The power supply label will either say nothing or Class 1 wiring must be used. THEN the installation has to comply with Chapter 3 including J boxes, connectors, support, etc.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Probably one of the ones that think AFCIs work.

No. If you use NM in a CL2 circuit you certainly can open splice- and cut the ground wire off to boot. But why would you use NM when there are lots of CL2 listed cables that can be concealed within the walls.

The only time you need to use a Chapter 3 wiring method like NM is when you have something larger than CL2 or CL3. The power supply label will either say nothing or Class 1 wiring must be used. THEN the installation has to comply with Chapter 3 including J boxes, connectors, support, etc.

-Hal
    You say that with authority. I have been rejected for it in an area where the inspectors are on top of things. I suspect they are correct. I believe Iwire also stated as much a long while ago.

But why would you use NM when there are lots of CL2 listed cables that can be concealed within the walls.
    Because I only need 5-10 feet and already have NM cable readily available.

You say that with authority. I have been rejected for it in an area where the inspectors are on top of things. I suspect they are correct. I believe Iwire also stated as much a long while ago.
    They are wrong. Ask them to show you where what they say is in the Code. The NM isn't being used as a Class 1 Chapter 3 wiring method. Maybe they are getting confused and thinking it's reclassified CL2. The Code doesn't say you can't use a Chapter 3 wiring method for CL2 therefore it doesn't address what to do if you do other than if you RECLASSIFY, which in this case you are not doing.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired
    Because I only need 5-10 feet and already have NM cable readily available.
    That's probably the main reason. Nothing wrong with that.

-Hal

I usually use jacketed in-wall-rated speaker wire. It's available in different gauges and is colored for D.C.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

They are wrong. Ask them to show you where what they say is in the Code. The NM isn't being used as a Class 1 Chapter 3 wiring method. Maybe they are getting confused and thinking it's reclassified CL2. The Code doesn't say you can't use a Chapter 3 wiring method for CL2 therefore it doesn't address what to do if you do other than if you RECLASSIFY, which in this case you are not doing.-Hal
    If you choose to use NM cable as allowed in Article 411, you would have to follow all of the rules in Chapter 3 including 300.15 which requires NM cable splices to be installed in boxes. I think that is what Dennis is getting at. Just my opinion.