Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with customers and existing code violations

Quote Originally Posted by Eric23 View Post
    I suggested removing all these illegally tapped disconnects and putting in a panel but they don't want to do it and the funny thing is they just had an Underwriters inspection, fire inspection, and then electrical inspection, and nobody said a word..
    The 1st sentence on my invoice back side:

Refusing Work: To protect the public from court sanctions work is refused where Licensing, Workers Comp, or Fire Code violations provide legal cause for property insurance to void claims.

No references are needed to establish this AHJ authority granted Insurance carriers who deny claims for cause. Most property owners get this, regardless of culture, native language, or country of origin.

Establishing my option to refuse work gets clients attention, but property owners seem most impressed with alternatives that illustrate common approaches of rip-off artists that void insurance policy or claims. There is credibility in articulating a solution to a problem, much more if a choice is given.

Your attorney should be consulted to determine if those adverse to involving owners, typical Tenants/Managers, can be dealt with by signing invoices with contract-enforceable line items handwritten on invoice, such as: "Emergency repair only - Client Warrants Permanent Repair Order.. in Process"
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

This is an add on to an original contract that I accepted in order to get more work from an HVAC contractor who's electrician didn't show up on numerous occasions... I'm beginning to think the guy just didn't want to do the job because it was such a mess. I said I would do it without looking at it first

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This is an add on to an original contract that I accepted in order to get more work from an HVAC contractor who's electrician didn't show up on numerous occasions... I'm beginning to think the guy just didn't want to do the job because it was such a mess. I said I would do it without looking at it first

The load side #12 taps go off to feed three 480 fused discos, one is single phase 30a the other two are 3 phase 20a.... They're removing one piece of equipment off of one disconnect and want me to use it to feed a new piece of equipment that's three-phase 20 amp 480.. then they're adding 240v 60A Electric heater into the space that's being fed off that 100 amp 3 phase disconnect in the picture but theres no room in the panel and they're going to blow these fuses because it's already maxed out with equipment..

The load side #12 taps go off to feed three 480 fused discos, one is single phase 30a the other two are 3 phase 20a.... They're removing one piece of equipment off of one disconnect and want me to use it to feed a new piece of equipment that's three-phase 20 amp 480.. then they're adding 240v 60A Electric heater into the space that's being fed off that 100 amp 3 phase disconnect in the picture but theres no room in the panel and they're going to blow these fuses because it's already maxed out with equipment..

Basically the owners says if it's not going to burn the building down I don't want to hear about it

Basically the owners says if it's not going to burn the building down I don't want to hear about it

That 3-phase 100 disconnect they tapped off of is feeding a primary side of Transformer that feeds 120/208 to a main lug panel thats full and has a 60a sub panel off of it that's also full

This is literally my first job out on my own and I don't want to make a bad name for myself by doing a hack job

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Don’t worry about the stuff you don’t touch. Walk away if your not comfortable with the scope or confines of the project. The customer will walk if he doesn’t like your proposal, you have the same option, walk.
    Tom
    TBLO

That 3-phase 100 disconnect they tapped off of is feeding a primary side of Transformer that feeds 120/208 to a main lug panel thats full and has a 60a sub panel off of it that's also full

Method used to make taps and the fact there is no secondary protection on the transformer are the biggest issues I see. Total load could very well be under 100 amps.

100 amps @ 480 3 phase is about 83 KVA. Equivalent 240 volt single phase circuit would have to have about 350 amp rating.

This is literally my first job out on my own and I don't want to make a bad name for myself by doing a hack job
    Unfamiliar work is not always bad, if allowed to propose code-compliant options, or pull permits with plans stamped by EE's, or oversight by planning departments.

Also, if owners are willing to make you a Statutory Employee for project duration, legally you can do/cument whatever they demand.

However, "Joint & Several Liability" can make a 1% responsible independent contractor 100% liable for damages, especially if you can't pull permits, and client refuses AHJ compliance. GL policies may also void claims for negligence, so anyone can confiscate your assets.

Exercising your limits & legal boundaries may require some walking. Refusing illegal work by walking is a critical exercise for survival.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Quote Originally Posted by ramsy View Post

Also, if owners are willing to make you a Statutory Employee for project duration, legally you can do/cument whatever they demand.
    That can get complicated easily I would think. If they can prove that you basically have history of operating as a contractor they may be able to put full blame of any problem on you. If project is one that lasts for say two years and you didn't work for anyone but your "employer" you can pull this off easier. If the project only lasts a few days or few weeks and you also took on service calls and other small projects for other clients during that time - you will probably still be deemed a contractor and not an employee of that owner.