Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: More than one wire under a screw terminal

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    A single phase 480v load would be my guess.

JAP>
    Correct, single phase 480V. However should have been landed and tagged "Spare" not left bare. Also, no ground from the back plate to the box.
    If the women dont find you handsom, at least they will fine you handy

Different strokes for different folks.

The unused wire not terminated is not a violation.

The wiring in this cabinet is not complete as of yet, so, we're not getting the whole story right now anyway.

JAP>

For more than one wire conductor landed in a single terminal.

110.14(A)
    Terminals for more than one conductor and terminals used to connect aluminum shall be so identified.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by kenaslan View Post
    Also, no ground from the back plate to the box.
    What do instructions for that enclosure say? I see you used a star washer on lower left mounting stud - that is probably all you needed to do to ensure bonding between the enclosure and the back panel. You probably did need to remove paint behind that grounding bar though or install a bonding jumper to ensure good bonding to that bar.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    You probably did need to remove paint behind that grounding bar though or install a bonding jumper to ensure good bonding to that bar.

Nah....no use to ruin a perfectly good looking factory paint job.

Besides, it looks like the time was taken to drill the holes and mount the bar with (2) tapping screws that I'm pretty sure catch 2 threads.

If anything,
    Install the Ground Bar vertical or move it over so it doesn't encroach on the denrail.
    Cut the denrail and the wire management square so it looks presentable.
    Move the wiring duct over a little bit so you can get a socket on the backplate nuts.
    Group the ground terminal blocks together on the terminal strip and jumper them together with a jumper to a lug attached to the backplate mounting stud with a lug. Not required but.....
    Don't take uninsulated grounding conductors up to the terminal blocks, let them drop off on the ground bar on the backplate down low.
    No need having uninsulated EGC's floating around close to the 480 on the terminal strip.
    Either land that blue and mark it as a spare or at least put a wirenut on it.

Ooops,,, sorry,,, for a minute I had a flashback of me talking to my apprentice.

JAP>

I don't know that those yellow blocks are grounding blocks, I think they are just yellow blocks.

True grounding blocks won't need jumpers between them, they will have a means to bond to the DIN rail.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I don't know that those yellow blocks are grounding blocks, I think they are just yellow blocks.

True grounding blocks won't need jumpers between them, they will have a means to bond to the DIN rail.
    That's true.
    I just don't like depending on that type of connection but that's just me.

JAP>

Simply because the denrail probably makes less contact with the grounded surface more so than the ground bar in the picture because of all the paint behind it.

JAP>

This IS what came from the factory. Besides, Oil drilling facilities are BEYOND cheep. Considering a drill site has a life of less than 30 years, they don't care. But who knows, Technology keeps improving. Rod Pumps, Gas Lift, Submersible pump, Fracking
    If the women dont find you handsom, at least they will fine you handy

Quote Originally Posted by kenaslan View Post
    This IS what came from the factory. Besides, Oil drilling facilities are BEYOND cheep. Considering a drill site has a life of less than 30 years, they don't care. But who knows, Technology keeps improving. Rod Pumps, Gas Lift, Submersible pump, Fracking
    What are those leads going to?

JAP>