Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Nightmare job

Quote Originally Posted by Eric23 View Post
    Fire marshal is the building owner's brother and is the go to contact for all construction questions or getting keys etc... He doesn't care about anything... As a matter of fact when demo first started there were a bunch of fake sprinkler heads in the ceiling not attached to anything just for show and when I asked him he said it was no big deal
    Well there you go !!!! You can get away with anything when there's collusion.

Fire marshal is the building owner's brother and is the go to contact for all construction questions or getting keys etc... He doesn't care about anything... As a matter of fact when demo first started there were a bunch of fake sprinkler heads in the ceiling not attached to anything just for show and when I asked him he said it was no big deal

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nightmare jobs... I changed out a stator on a 17kw generac yesterday.. HO ofc had built a nice privacy fence around it, and stuffed the area with extra brick pavers and heavy pots for plants... took an hour of moving junk just to get to the generator (billed for, check!).

Then the fun started. By the time we got the old stator out and the new in, both me and the other electrician were joking about becoming brick masons... sure, bricks are heavy, but that stator was like a 150lb round brick...not much fun to deal with.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Parrish View Post
    Of course the problem is that it makes it unsafe for the next electrician whom has to work on that panel. Lucky the sink is plastic.

I provide electrical maintenance for an apartment complex in Indiana. You wouldn't believe it, ALL their electric panels are in a closet behind a water heater. One of them you have to use a stubby screw driver to get the bottom panel cover screws off. All whilst standing on a step stool and laying on your chest on a metal water heater with copper pipes touching your arms. None of them have standing room in front of the panel. Because the water heater is their.

If I had to do much to the panel. I would tell them will have to move it. Lucky most of the calls evolved something other then a breaker or panel problem. This complex is only ten years old.

I have told them in writing. That for safety they need to meet the clearance code for the electric panels.
    Yes, I'd believe it. But for a ten year old facility, that is pretty bad. It's par for the course in older places here, especially hotels and apt buildings, which have a dearth of properly designed storage and maintenance areas.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
    Wouldn't you think any inspector would pick up on the fact that there are water feed lines and a drain line in that exact spot so that a sink could be installed some time in the future ? Do inspectors have a right to come and inspect a commercial building at any time ?
    If inspector had already failed inspection because the sink was there, just having pipes stubbed out of the wall when he reinspects would be kind of expected, kind of hard to write up a violation when none exists.

If a situation where they do come back for some reason then it is subject to failure again.

Here EI's don't just randomly show up just to see if you are in compliance, they show up because someone filed a permit, or if they see construction has been going on but see they don't have a permit, then there is justification to see if electrical work was done that should have had a permit.

Commercial space.. that's inside a break room of a spa..
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    If inspector had already failed inspection because the sink was there, just having pipes stubbed out of the wall when he reinspects would be kind of expected, kind of hard to write up a violation when none exists.

Then OP says this is the break area of a Spa. This doesn't look like a mop sink . The washer and dryer are probably there for washing towels but there is no reason for a large sink. I would assume it's there more for water for the coffee pot. This should leave the option of a really small sink like the one's often used at wet bars. I think you can find one's down to about 12".

A small sink will be a lot cheaper than moveing those panels.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Also who does this

Meh.

That rec might need to be GFCI though depending on how close to sink

No the panels were existing.. This was a remodel. Plumbers came in after me

The problem is after they fail this I'm going to have to fix it.. the customers already said that if the inspector doesn't like it she'll have me spin the panels around to face the room on the other side...

You said the your stuff was already done, so the issue here is betwixt her and the plumbers.

She persists about altering the orientation of the panels, then hey there you go----more $$$ and go high.

Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    Then OP says this is the break area of a Spa. This doesn't look like a mop sink . The washer and dryer are probably there for washing towels but there is no reason for a large sink. I would assume it's there more for water for the coffee pot. This should leave the option of a really small sink like the one's often used at wet bars. I think you can find one's down to about 12".

A small sink will be a lot cheaper than moveing those panels.
    Yeah a small wall mount sink put closer to the washer might work.

But if its intended to a Utility sink.......

It would be cheaper to just open the wall, throw in some 90s (or maybe tee off the ex supply lines/drain in wall for washer----they could put the sink in between the washer and dryer) and reroute the piping, than it would be to move the panels, but if the customer insists on spinning the cans.....as I said earlier more $$$...some folks are just a glutton for punishment.