Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conduit Seals

Quote Originally Posted by AKElectrician View Post
    Your not using enough Teflon.
    While pipe joint compounds do act to fill small imprecations in the threads, their real purpose is to provide lubrication so the joint can be tightened enough to provide a solid metal to metal interference fit to seal the joint.
    Last edited by don_resqcapt19; 02-16-18 at 02:56 PM.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    While pipe joint compounds do act to fill small imprecations in the threads, their real purpose is to provide lubrication so the joint can be tightened enough to provide a solid metal to metal interference fit to seal the joint.
    STL (Steel Thread Lube) could be used instead? From my very limited experience of plumbing I find that hard to believe, but I am a electrician not a a plumber so.

I have no problem with either Teflon tape or plumber's caps, primarily because I'm not too concerned about gas/vapor migration in empty conduits in the first place; especially if the "source" is Class I, Division 2 and only slightly more in Division 1.

In "open air" there is virtually no greater possibility for gas/vapor migration through the empty conduit than random migration outside of it.

Where the boundary is a physical barrier, such as a wall or grade, it takes a significant pressure differential for an empty conduit to be a concern and virtually any method of capping both ends will be suitable.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Quote Originally Posted by rbalex View Post
    I have no problem with either Teflon tape or plumber's caps, primarily because I'm not too concerned about gas/vapor migration in empty conduits in the first place; especially if the "source" is Class I, Division 2 and only slightly more in Division 1.

In "open air" there is virtually no greater possibility for gas/vapor migration through the empty conduit than random migration outside of it.

Where the boundary is a physical barrier, such as a wall or grade, it takes a significant pressure differential for an empty conduit to be a concern and virtually any method of capping both ends will be suitable.
    Agree 100%.