Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grounding

Quote Originally Posted by DrSparks View Post
    You are correct. If it is an external building fed by a feeder or a sub feeder from the main building the grounding electrode conductor would terminate on the equipment grounding bar and the neutral busbar would remain isolated from ground.

If you were to bond the neutral to ground in the subpanel the neutral current would take parallel paths back to the service equipment possibly creating a potential difference across grounded non-current carrying surfaces

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk
    I know the grounds and neutrals must be separate. What I was asking was, does the GEC have to terminate on the same terminal or bus as the EGC's? In other words could the GEC land on its own bar bolted to the enclosure, then the source and branch EGC's land on a separate bus also bolted to the enclosure.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    I know the grounds and neutrals must be separate. What I was asking was, does the GEC have to terminate on the same terminal or bus as the EGC's? In other words could the GEC land on its own bar bolted to the enclosure, then the source and branch EGC's land on a separate bus also bolted to the enclosure.
    There is nothing in the code prohibiting you from terminating the the gec on a separate terminal bar or simply a log that is bolted through the chassis as long as you insure good electrical conductivity. But why wouldn't you just terminate the GC on the ground bar?

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post

Yes you can use the enclosure to connect the two EGC bus bars together.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted