Building steel to machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
I have a manufacturer asking me to bond a drive cabinet to building steel and essentially the GE system. This is a new one for me so I'm wondering how common it is. I've driven ground rods for plenty of similar equipment but never this. My question is what the added benefit would be and also how to logically size the bond since there is no specification for that part. It's fed from a 400 amp breaker so my first thought is to simply pipe up to the closet I beam and run a #3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
IMO there is no benefit. Make sure that you bring in the EGC with the incoming power. That is the important thing.

Even though it probably serves no useful purpose, it is not an unheard of request by machine builders. About the same utility as driving one or more ground rods by the machine.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
A vehicle assembly constructed in our area had as a requirement a 3/0 Cu bond from every MCC to a building column that was bonded to a ground ring. The MCC bonds were often a run in excess of 100 ft. and an individual bond was required from each cabinet.
Lots of E/Cs missed that requirement in the specs. OUCH!

ADub

Occupation
IMO there is no benefit. Make sure that you bring in the EGC with the incoming power. That is the important thing.

Even though it probably serves no useful purpose, it is not an unheard of request by machine builders. About the same utility as driving one or more ground rods by the machine.

That was my thought too. Whenever I'm asked to drive a rod for a machine I just smile and shake a tree

kwired

Electron manager
I have a manufacturer asking me to bond a drive cabinet to building steel and essentially the GE system. This is a new one for me so I'm wondering how common it is. I've driven ground rods for plenty of similar equipment but never this. My question is what the added benefit would be and also how to logically size the bond since there is no specification for that part. It's fed from a 400 amp breaker so my first thought is to simply pipe up to the closet I beam and run a #3.

Building steel is part of the GE system, seems to me one bond to steel is all that is needed to comply with their wishes.

ADub

Occupation
Building steel is part of the GE system, seems to me one bond to steel is all that is needed to comply with their wishes.

I thought that's what I said, or at least tried to. They are asking for a bond to building steel and, in turn, the buildings grounding electrode system. I was wondering what the benefit would be in doing this, or is their a benefit at all? The unit is solidly connected with an equipment ground already. I bet it's better than a ground rod though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
I thought that's what I said, or at least tried to. They are asking for a bond to building steel and, in turn, the buildings grounding electrode system. I was wondering what the benefit would be in doing this, or is their a benefit at all? The unit is solidly connected with an equipment ground already. I bet it's better than a ground rod though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is their benefit when it comes to warranty work. You don't connect like they want, even if it makes no sense, they get out of warranty work.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
One CNC machine retrofitter demanded a separate GE for each machine.

If one walked out the back of the factory, there were dozens of Grods all along the building

110.3B boldly going where no theory has gone before....

~RJ~

ADub

Occupation
One CNC machine retrofitter demanded a separate GE for each machine.

If one walked out the back of the factory, there were dozens of Grods all along the building

110.3B boldly going where no theory has gone before....

~RJ~

That's rough. I just drill a hole in the floor and bash away

Status
Not open for further replies.