Square D I Line Mounting Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzdrew516

I am trying to specify a Square D I line panel. Specifics are 208V/3p/4w - I need a 500A MCB and right now I need the equivalent of a "54 pole" panel. It is my understanding that I Line panels are not specified by number of poles, but inches of mounting space. I was told by a co-worker that he doesn't think I can fit all the breakers I have in the panel with a 500A main. I have specified I-Lines plenty of times in the past with enough space for this, but they were MLO panels without MCBs. Does anyone know if my set up is possible? I have looked through the I Line spec sheet and I can't get the rep to return my calls. I need an answer on this pretty quick. If it won't work I can just split it into two panels or possibly use an MLO panel with a disconnect before it. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
-Drew

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I am trying to specify a Square D I line panel. Specifics are 208V/3p/4w - I need a 500A MCB and right now I need the equivalent of a "54 pole" panel. It is my understanding that I Line panels are not specified by number of poles, but inches of mounting space. I was told by a co-worker that he doesn't think I can fit all the breakers I have in the panel with a 500A main. I have specified I-Lines plenty of times in the past with enough space for this, but they were MLO panels without MCBs. Does anyone know if my set up is possible? I have looked through the I Line spec sheet and I can't get the rep to return my calls. I need an answer on this pretty quick. If it won't work I can just split it into two panels or possibly use an MLO panel with a disconnect before it. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
-Drew
Have you tried their on-Line Digest section 9? The printed one is out of date and does not show their current offers.
Do you want your MB to be 'in-line' with the bussing or as a 'back-fed' plugged-on breaker?

Fitzdrew516

I pulled the spec sheet off the web. I haven't heard of what you referenced, but I'll look into it. Honestly I don't care where the main is mounted as long as it works, but if it's in line then I imagine that's just more mounting space that it takes up.

-Drew

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
You can find MLO panels that have 99" of mounting space = roughly a 66 circuit panel. Then you would use up to 9" for a back fed main, giving you effectively 90" of space, or effectively a 60 circuit panel.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
Awesome! Thanks for the help. For future reference how did you determine that 99" of mounting space = 66 circuits and that the main uses 9"?
I-Line breakers are different widths which is why the panel sizes are measured in inches, not circuits. Up to 250A the 3-pole breakers are all 4.5" wide.

Look at the Digest page 9-20 step #2.
Breaker sizes are in Table 9.99, page 9-22. You can see that there are several types of 600A breakers available, so I took the 800A MG frame size of 9" for an estimate.

kwired

Electron manager
Also keep in mind that when the breaker frame is over 250 amps the breaker is not only wider it is also longer.

But in general when you get over 400 amps bus you get wider cabinets as well. But you do have to watch what is selected. I installed a couple not real long ago that had 800 amp bus but were only rated for 600 amp max breakers - I think wire bending space maybe bigger restriction then anything on that rating. They did ship it with a plug on main lug/subfeed lug kit rated for 12000 amps though, but it didn't take nearly the length a 1200 amp breaker would have taken but did take same bus width as a 1200 amp.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Also keep in mind that when the breaker frame is over 250 amps the breaker is not only wider it is also longer.

But in general when you get over 400 amps bus you get wider cabinets as well. But you do have to watch what is selected. I installed a couple not real long ago that had 800 amp bus but were only rated for 600 amp max breakers - I think wire bending space maybe bigger restriction then anything on that rating. They did ship it with a plug on main lug/subfeed lug kit rated for 12000 amps though, but it didn't take nearly the length a 1200 amp breaker would have taken but did take same bus width as a 1200 amp.

Page 9-20 shows the different panel sizes. The HCN's only take breakers up to 225 A, HCM's up to 250 amps. And the HCP and HCR panels will take larger breakers on one side than on the other side. The 5 diagrams on pages 9-20 and 9-21 show that.

Status
Not open for further replies.