312.6 meter socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpd

there has been a debate in my area about bending space at meter sockets, the bending space does not comply for a 4/0 when you come in the back of the meter socket for load side conductors which I agree per TA 312.6 (A). I have noticed that article 312 is very specific in section 312.5 to include meter sockets & in 312.2 enclosures within the scope of this article but 312.6 only specifies cabinets & cutout boxes and the like shall comply with 312.6 (A) though (C) but 312.6 (B) (2) has an exception for meter sockets for opposite wall only.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This has been a question I have asked myself many times but I have rarely come out of the back because of this. IMO, the smaller 200 amp meter bases would be a violation as they are quite small to pull this off. I believe if you look the conductor you can make it work but if the service is underground this may be an issue.

There are larger size 200 amp bases that would be compliant imo.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hey is there a reason that you guys on the left coast don't use all in one combo panels.
We never have issue with bending like that described as we never try to fit all that stuff in a meter base can.
There is always plenty of room in a meter/combo panel.

kwired

Electron manager
Hey is there a reason that you guys on the left coast don't use all in one combo panels.
We never have issue with bending like that described as we never try to fit all that stuff in a meter base can.
There is always plenty of room in a meter/combo panel.
I live in the center coast. We seldom use all in ones. Also seldom have issues with space in meter cans as we don't use the smallest cans available all that often, especially for 200 amp applications.

Underground services seem to be normal anymore, and some places are not allowing new overhead services. Much less expense when we have storms that take down service drops, if there are fewer drops to take down. They still run their medium voltage overhead in many places but those are not normally as subject to tree branches falling on them and taking them down, the final drop to each house often does have trees that grow around it at some time. The high number of underground services does mean the most common 200 amp meter socket available is a larger can designed for underground feed. If you want one for overhead feed only it is probably a special order around here.

iwire

Staff member

Right coaster here and I have never installed an 'all in one meter socket and panel'.

I believe that goes to the fact we have a very short list of meter sockets that the local power companies allow us to use.

Zee

Why do you think we don't use meter/main combo panels? That is all i see here in the SF Bay Area in CA.
(Old systems..... like 50 years ago..... had separate meters)

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
Ditto with Zee...all we use around here. But about bending radius...does anyone else wonder why manufacturers are allowed to bend wire at nice, tight 90 deg bends from their side of the socket to the main? Prejudice, I say!:rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.