Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pigtailing multiple EGC's in a panelboard

pigtailing multiple EGC's in a panelboard

wirenutting several EGC's to a single which then goes to the ground (or neutral if service) bar. Is this compliant? I always thought it was, but looking at 250.122(C) seems to only mention raceway, cable, or cable tray. No cabinets. IS there another section I am not aware of?
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Well, the way 250.122 (C) is written it neither prohibits or allows doing the same thing elsewhere. It simply doesn't apply to panelboards. Unless you want argue that a panelboard is a raceway. Which it arguably could be.

A point in favor of compliance is that 312.8 allows for splices in panelboards up to reasonable limits. Also see 250.148. I guess the required size of the pigtail might be a little hard to pin down if one wanted to be particular about it.
    Last edited by jaggedben; 02-20-18 at 11:26 PM.

I have done it, mainly as part of residential panel upgrades. As long as the wire is at least as large as required for the largest connected circuit, you're golden.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    I have done it, mainly as part of residential panel upgrades. As long as the wire is at least as large as required for the largest connected circuit, you're golden.
    I frequently do it too. Its hard to come up with what to cite for a violation. I cant really find anything, other than the logical progression that 250.122(C) exists therefor implying I must have permission to use a single EGC for multiple circuits, and then a cabinet or box is not listed.

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    I frequently do it too. Its hard to come up with what to cite for a violation. I cant really find anything, other than the logical progression that 250.122(C) exists therefor implying I must have permission to use a single EGC for multiple circuits, and then a cabinet or box is not listed.
    Legal. You cannot find a section because no section exists.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    Legal. You cannot find a section because no section exists.
    then they should delete 250.122(C) since it serves no purpose yes?

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    Well, the way 250.122 (C) is written it neither prohibits or allows doing the same thing elsewhere. It simply doesn't apply to panelboards. Unless you want argue that a panelboard is a raceway. Which it arguably could be.

A point in favor of compliance is that 312.8 allows for splices in panelboards up to reasonable limits. Also see 250.148. I guess the required size of the pigtail might be a little hard to pin down if one wanted to be particular about it.
    I am gonna tell you right now:

There is absolutely no way on earth that a panelboard could be considered a raceway.......

The enclosure/cabinet perhaps.......

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    then they should delete 250.122(C) since it serves no purpose yes?
    No, I do not think so.

Tying the grounds together in the panel is rare. Easier to just land them usually.

Only reason I have done it is for making room in a crowded panel.

The section is just a clarification that favors the installer really.

Can you imagine if we had to prove it was okay to a single ground for multiple circuits to an inspector using theory?

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    As long as the wire is at least as large as required for the largest connected circuit, you're golden.
    I agree, I have done it on some old panels where the neutral/EGC bus didn't have enough terminal holes for all of the conductors.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    At one time panels never seemed to have enough holes for both neutral and EG connections. Makers seemed to expect us to use MWBC whenever possible and spare EG bars were special order. Never, ever, did I hesitate to splice EGs. There that makes it all correct.
    Tom
    TBLO