Using a junction with 2 circuits as a pass-through adding another circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Not exactly certain what you are asking about, but think you are asking if you can add more conductors from other circuits to the box in question.

Lack of permissive wording to do something doesn't necessarily equate to "you can't do it".

Smart $

Esteemed Member
ActionDave is correct. In junction boxes it's all about conductor fill. A typical circuit can have from 2 to 4 conductors plus an EGC. Your details need be more specific in this regard.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Where in the code book does it support using a junction box(4-square), which has 2 circuits, as a pass-through adding another circuit?

If by "pass-through" you mean pulling through without a splice then the conductor count can vary depending on how long of a loop (if any) that you leave in the box. 314.16(B)(1) specifies that if the unbroken loop is more than twice the minimum required free conductor length then it counts as two conductors.

If by "pass-through" you mean pulling through without a splice then the conductor count can vary depending on how long of a loop (if any) that you leave in the box. 314.16(B)(1) specifies that if the unbroken loop is more than twice the minimum required free conductor length then it counts as two conductors.
So then if I have 2 circuits supplying 120 v receptacles and I add a 3rd without splicing, without a loop, to pass through the 4 square box it will add to the number of conductors according to NEC 314.16(B)(1).

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, if the conductor is pulled straight through un-spliced it counts as one conductor unless it's so long that it's 2X or more than the required free length. What's the total conductor count in your example?

Status
Not open for further replies.