Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel pump requirements

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Key words - "if it runs beneath a classified location"

At your typical public "gas station" it often does.

At a large truck stop that has gasoline dispensers on one side the building but only has diesel dispensers on another side- and even further away because of the larger vehicles expected to use them - those diesel dispensers and the lines run to them may not be involved with a classified area at all.
    If it runs beneath a classified location it must be sealed at both ends - even if both ends stub up in unclassified locations. This is one of the more unique requirements for fuel dispensing installations. The basic concept is leaks may invade the below grade raceways. This is not a common concern with most classified locations.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Quote Originally Posted by rbalex View Post
    If it runs beneath a classified location it must be sealed at both ends - even if both ends stub up in unclassified locations. This is one of the more unique requirements for fuel dispensing installations. The basic concept is leaks may invade the below grade raceways. This is not a common concern with most classified locations.
    I agree, my example before possibly doesn't cross through or below a classified location. Some may put seals on anyway though they wouldn't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I agree, my example before possibly doesn't cross through or below a classified location. Some may put seals on anyway though they wouldn't have to.
    Seals are cheap insurance; against beady-eyed AHJ's if not a real hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Seals are cheap insurance; against beady-eyed AHJ's if not a real hazard.
    An inspector that cites something that isn't wrong needs edumacated. Kind explanation the first time, if that don't work next step is beating them with a 2 foot piece of RMC - with seal-off threaded on the end of it

Pick trade size based on their physical build.