2014 NEC Handbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It is a good resource, and it does provide some valuable explanations. But be aware that the commentary is merely the opinion of its author, and is not enforceable.

Welcome to the forum.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Charlie. The advantage of the NECH is that it contains the entire text of the NEC and adds in graphics, commentary and photo's to help one better understand what it all means.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
+1 to all the above--What I tell our guys to do is--Anytime you are starting a job or take a few minutes to look it up in the code book--or if you think of a question--look it up first, or try to then ask--another good reference to help you start getting around in the book is Tom Henry's Key Word Index--just Google it

And Welcome to the Forum--lot's of great people and advice on here!!

luckylerado

....another good reference to help you start getting around in the book is Tom Henry's Key Word Index....

I agree however this is also not allowed to be taken in to a test. If you are studying for an open book test, try to use the keyword index only as a last resort.

I have known some guys to get this past a test proctor by using the 3 ring binder style of books but you take a risk of being disqualified from the test if caught.

fmtjfw

If you use the handbook do not be fooled by the illustrations. They will, at best, show you one possible application of the code, but there may be others. I prefer the NE[C] Code itself rather than the handbook.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Years ago I bought a copy of the NECH. It was a good resource and helped me understand a lot of things better than just reading the NEC would.

However, it was pricey and huge and has gotten progressively bigger and more expensive. So, I only bought the one, but I think it was worth what I paid for the education I got from it.

I eventually sold it on eBay. :)

Buck Parrish

I like the 2014 code book. If you plan on taking an exam you would want to practice with the regular NEC codebook, I only own the Handbook for this three year term.
My old 05 Handbook Makes a good gun case. I laid the gun in it and cut the pages out like a bible in an old western movie. It really works good with the nice hardcover. You can't tell it's any thing other then a book

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I like the 2014 code book. If you plan on taking an exam you would want to practice with the regular NEC codebook, I only own the Handbook for this three year term.
My old 05 Handbook Makes a good gun case. I laid the gun in it and cut the pages out like a bible in an old western movie. It really works good with the nice hardcover. You can't tell it's any thing other then a book

as big as they have gotten, you could put a good sized firearm inside one. :)

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
I agree however this is also not allowed to be taken in to a test. If you are studying for an open book test, try to use the keyword index only as a last resort.

I have known some guys to get this past a test proctor by using the 3 ring binder style of books but you take a risk of being disqualified from the test if caught.
Absolutely--I just meant that for me and my guys using it at first gets you around then you start getting to remember where stuff is and need to use it less and less--

webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Occupation
System Admin
Handbook ..... did you say Handbook?!!

Handbook ..... did you say Handbook?!!

Not for nothing, but there is a great company called Mike Holt Enterprises that offers tons of great material to learn the NEC. They have a couple books titled Understanding the NEC Volume 1/2 that go over all of the major codes with full-color graphics, review questions, and author comments from a pretty smart dude. They also offer these books in a DVD package called the Detailed NEC DVD Library where you get direct instruction and commentary by Mike Holt and a panel of experts from all areas of the electrical industry. If you are going to use this for an exam and want to be able to bring your book in with you then you may want to think about the MHE Handbook Package. It contains the MH Understanding the NEC Volume 1/2 books, a set of MH NEC Tabs, and the NFPA Paperback Codebook (which can be brought into almost every exam) - and oh by the way, it is still cheaper than a NFPA Handbook. Just sayin ..... here is a link to the Mike Holt NEC Products page on the website.

http://www.mikeholt.com/product-category-list.php?id=1

If you have any questions, then just call their office and ask for a guy named Sean. I hear he is brilliant .... :angel:

GlenSims

NEC on CD rom

NEC on CD rom

I just bought the new 2014 NEC on CD from NFPA @112.00 But I am trying to get my money back because they have disabled the bookmark feature. It was the bookmark feature that I used the most to bookmark things I looked up so I can easily and faster get to it if I needed it again.now that is no longer allowed it is not a good deal

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It may seem obvious, but I have to ask: Did you try copying the files from the CD to your hard drive first?
You cannot write to the CD so you cannot add notes or bookmarks when opening the file directly from the CD.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The pdf version security prevents adding bookmarks to it also.

A workaround, though not elegant, is to use highlighting then change user name in properties to something more pertinent (like section number and title). Not sure about Reader or Standard versions of Acrobat, but in Pro version the highlights are listed in the Comments List of the Comment pane... and can be saved.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have no need but this site http://www.pdfunlock.com/ will remove passwords etc for $4.99. It is free up to 5 mb. I took a small pdf that would not let me copy and paste and ran it thru their online setup and it allowed me to copy and paste when it was finished

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That would be a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, of course. A serious Federal crime.
You only have a license to read the PDF, not to derive any benefit from it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.