Thread: Sizing building steel bond

Sizing building steel bond

Im trying to size my bond to building steel for a 400 amp sevice. From the meter the service conductors enter the building in parallel sets of 3 phase 3/0. Each set going to their own main breaker 200 amp panel. My thinking is that the wire should be a 1/0 to building steel since it is a parallel set, three 3/0 ungrounded conductors is equivalent to a 600 kcmil. 250.66 then tells me 1/0 to both panels (not allowed to bond in meter)

You could do that or tap from each panel with #4 to a common 1/0.

Like this shows

"Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Or three individual #4s to the building steel.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by slc410 View Post
    Im trying to size my bond to building steel for a 400 amp service. From the meter the service conductors enter the building in parallel sets of 3 phase 3/0. Each set going to their own main breaker 200 amp panel. My thinking is that the wire should be a 1/0 to building steel since it is a parallel set, three 3/0 ungrounded conductors is equivalent to a 600 kcmil. 250.66 then tells me 1/0 to both panels (not allowed to bond in meter)
    I'm confused, you said that you have parallel sets but them you stated that "each set going to their own main breaker 200 amp panel." How many sets are you running and are they connected together on both ends?
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted