multifamily dwelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So Chicago requires EMT even in Single family residents?

So is there any less fires in these EMT wired homes?
Yes, Chicago requires EMT in single family dwelling units and so do may of the suburbs around there.
The number of fires that are said to be of electrical origin in Chicago is 1/4 of the national average.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, Chicago requires EMT in single family dwelling units and so do may of the suburbs around there.
The number of fires that are said to be of electrical origin in Chicago is 1/4 of the national average.
Do we dare expand the conversation to whether AFCI has any impact on those figures? Or do they even have AFCI requirements?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Do we dare expand the conversation to whether AFCI has any impact on those figures? Or do they even have AFCI requirements?
I am not sure about the use of AFCIs in the Chicago code. I believe their code is based on the 1999 NEC so there many be limited AFCI requirements.
The fire cause number was from data that preceded the NEC AFCI rules.
The 1/4 of the national average number was cited in a proposal or comment for one of the original exceptions that permitted the AFCI to be located at other than then power source where the "home run" was installed in EMT.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I love running conduit. I am not the best at it, but not that bad either. I would pray that the truck that delivers the conduit would run over me if I ever have to pipe a house again.

That's funny!

I got to do three of them. The work isn't bad if the EC knows that it will take longer than rope and doesn't badger you about getting done faster.

The part about cutting the pipe into 30" lengths so you can get them across the joists sucks no matter how you look at that, though.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I was wondering what it looked like to EMT a wood frame house. This is what I found. From our own George Stoltz, btw.

emtrough.jpg

Ugh, looks like it could get tricky.

MBLES

the engineer will not be hired again after the fiasco of the electrical drawing showing EMT in a multifamily dwelling. we spoke to inspector
and he said that the electrical was subject to field inspection. he said the conduit didnt need to be installed as long as engineer was aware of change.

Status
Not open for further replies.