2014 NEC utility / laundry room

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

Sorry to have too ask this one also, but utility room receptacles need to be on GFCI protection. Is this just 120 volt or does it pertain to 240 volt also? Same plan as the 220 volt dishwasher, also shows 220 volt washing machine receptacle! Is this room also to be on AFCI protection? :?

Does the lighting & receptacle openings both need to be on AFCI & GFCI ? :?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
  • 120 volt, 15 and 20 amp receptacles in the laundry area require GFCI protection.
  • In general, outlets rated above 120 volts, like your 220 volt washer outlet, do not require GFCI protection. The dishwasher is an exception, in that the rule that names it does not limit its applicability to only 120 volt outlets.
  • 120 volt circuits that supply the laundry area require AFCI protection, either for the entire circuit or for everything downstream of the first outlet.
  • Circuits above 120 volts do not require AFCI protection.

JDB3

O.K., since a 120 volt washing machine receptacle is required to be GFCI protected, & I normally use GFCI receptacles (saves the homeowner money on the breaker), would it be considered accessible if you had to reach across the washer to test/reset it?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If you can see the GFCI receptacle, and if you can reach the test and reset buttons (even if that requires you to lay across the machine), I would call that good enough.

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
Electrical Systems Inspector
O.K., since a 120 volt washing machine receptacle is required to be GFCI protected, & I normally use GFCI receptacles (saves the homeowner money on the breaker), would it be considered accessible if you had to reach across the washer to test/reset it?

I have read 210.8(A) where does it say that the washing machine has to be GFCI protected? I am being told by base safety that washing machines are required to be GFCI protected, quoting 210.8(A)(10) but this is for dwelling units, the building that they are talking about is kinda like a laundromat with washers and dryers for the troops and is not a "dwelling unit".

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
For the laundry area and kitchen the best solution is a dual function AFCi/GFCI. And then in the 2017 NEC, ditto for the bathroom as it will require AFCI

kwired

Electron manager
I have read 210.8(A) where does it say that the washing machine has to be GFCI protected? I am being told by base safety that washing machines are required to be GFCI protected, quoting 210.8(A)(10) but this is for dwelling units, the building that they are talking about is kinda like a laundromat with washers and dryers for the troops and is not a "dwelling unit".
The washing machine is not specifically mentioned. 210.8(A) starts off with "All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in..."

Most washers are 120 volt single phase and on a 20 amp circuit, and presumably will be in the "laundry area" so the receptacle supplying the washer falls within the description of what 210.8(A)(10) applies to. If the washer would happen to require more then a 20 amp circuit or something other then 120 volts GFCI would not be required by the general GFCI protection rules of 210.8.

Add: and you are correct that 210.8(A) only applies to dwelling units.

210.8(B)(5) could require GFCI if the receptacle is within 6 feet of a sink, or (6) could apply if the location is a wet location, (4) could apply if it is outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.