GFCI for washing machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
I have read 210.8(A) where does it say that the washing machine has to be GFCI protected? I am being told by base safety that washing machines are required to be GFCI protected, quoting 210.8(A)(10) but this is for dwelling units, the building that they are talking about is kinda like a laundromat with washers and dryers for the troops and is not a "dwelling unit".

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I can't recall if it was the '11 or '14 that added "indoor wet locations" to the other than dwelling requirements. Seems a stretch but maybe your troops get overzealous on wash day.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If this is a laundromat then IMO no gfci is required however if there is a sink within 6' of the washers then they do need gfci protect. 210.8(B)(5). I also think it is a stretch to call a laundry area an indoor wet location

kwired

Electron manager
Thought I was losing it. Just replied to a post with nearly identical question in the OP, including the fact it was for laundry room for our troops, but my reply was not in there, and others were there I didn't recall.

I then though duplicate post by the OP, but found the other thread and a different member with the OP.

link to other thread if interested.

fbhwt

Occupation
Thought I was losing it. Just replied to a post with nearly identical question in the OP, including the fact it was for laundry room for our troops, but my reply was not in there, and others were there I didn't recall.

I then though duplicate post by the OP, but found the other thread and a different member with the OP.

link to other thread if interested.

I was looking for a quick response so I copied and pasted, didn't know if it would be noticed in the other thread.

kwired

Electron manager
I was looking for a quick response so I copied and pasted, didn't know if it would be noticed in the other thread.
you must also have more then one user name then.

Both OP usernames have different locations, maybe you change identity depending on where you are at?

Or is it more of a Superman vs Clark Kent kind of thing:cool:

marti smith

I have read 210.8(A) where does it say that the washing machine has to be GFCI protected? I am being told by base safety that washing machines are required to be GFCI protected, quoting 210.8(A)(10) but this is for dwelling units, the building that they are talking about is kinda like a laundromat with washers and dryers for the troops and is not a "dwelling unit".

In the 2014 it is 210.8 (A) (10).

fbhwt

Occupation
you must also have more then one user name then.

Both OP usernames have different locations, maybe you change identity depending on where you are at?

Or is it more of a Superman vs Clark Kent kind of thing:cool:

Not sure I follow, I only have one username but, do log in on different computers.

kwired

Electron manager
Not sure I follow, I only have one username but, do log in on different computers.

After looking again - you are not the OP in that other thread, but you did join in the conversation and present the situation you started this thread with. That was where I got confused as at one time I thought both threads were started by same person. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.