series rating across different manufacturers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say I have a square D "sub" panelboard that is adjacent to a service panelboard that is being upgraded to a Siemens panelboard. Am I correct that I am pretty much stuck with the available fault current at the service panel terminals (minus the small contribution of the bussing and short conductors to the sub of course) because I will never get a series rating across different manufacturers gear?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
From my experience, you are correct. NO "series rating" between manufacturers.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I would agree no series ratings across manufactures. However I have heard a manufacture will design a service to go along with other manufacture sub panels.

templdl

Maybe this is obvious, but just to double check: If I am using fuses upstream, I can use an applicable series rating to the fuses in a different manufacturers equipment correct?

Have you looked at a breaker manufacturer's catalog for their series rated products yet? If so I know that EATON/C-H will have their series rated breakers shown with specific fuses also.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Have you looked at a breaker manufacturer's catalog for their series rated products yet? If so I know that EATON/C-H will have their series rated breakers shown with specific fuses also.
Yes, in fact I think that most mfrs will have series ratings with fuses, that's how they can sell their products into installation that have high fault current available. Be careful though, the series ratings are VERY specific.

Yes, in fact I think that most mfrs will have series ratings with fuses, that's how they can sell their products into installation that have high fault current available. Be careful though, the series ratings are VERY specific.

Yeah I've only seen the fuse-to-breaker series rating exist between manufacturers due to their ability to sell their product to a high fault-current facility. But as others have said, manufacturers wouldn't waste money testing series ratings between their breakers and their competition's breakers.

But that said I'm sure Cutler Hammer and Eaton breakers could series rate since they are now under Eaton; but again you'd need to look at the series rating documentation very carefully since it's very specific (down to the maximum amperage size of each breaker/fuse).

templdl

Bingo. Often times there are those who are looking for answers that they want to hear trying to avoid the correct answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.