User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Different color light from different manufacturers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSnowman View Post
    Appreciate all the input but I asked a very simple question...Do the colors of different brands of the same K rating fluorescent lamps match perfectly or are they slightly different? Almost all of the light fixtures in our buildings are Sylvania. The boss has been ordering GE equivalents because he can get them cheaper. But the colors don't appear to match all the time. I was hoping to get some of you to say yes or no so I could show him this thread and prove that there is a difference. I want him to order Sylvania.
    It was mentioned you can even have some difference from batch to batch on the same line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    180224-2115 EST

DrSnowman:

Are you saying that you see a color difference, but your boss can not? If bulbs from two different manufactures are in the same fixture, then it should be easy to do a color and intensity comparison.

Your boss might have a color blindness that prevents him from seeing what you see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gar View Post
    180224-2115 EST

DrSnowman:

Are you saying that you see a color difference, but your boss can not? If bulbs from two different manufactures are in the same fixture, then it should be easy to do a color and intensity comparison.

Your boss might have a color blindness that prevents him from seeing what you see.

I agree, but also would think is possible to see noticable differences in same make/model if one is new and the other is already at half rated operating hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a color shift after lamps have been ran a while compared to new ones.
    It seem from what I’ve experienced is that it tends to get warmer in color.
    I know, one would think if something is given a rating it should be across the board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    180225-1009 EST

A K rating can only relate to a "black body" radiator where it has a unique definition. Anything else is an approximation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Forhuman (new word) might be color blind to the point of the cost difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sameguy View Post
    The Forhuman (new word) might be color blind to the point of the cost difference.
    Unlikely to change unless someone higher up the food chain says "These color differences look like crap. Fix it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate all the input but I asked a very simple question...Do the colors of different brands of the same K rating fluorescent lamps match perfectly or are they slightly different? Almost all of the light fixtures in our buildings are Sylvania. The boss has been ordering GE equivalents because he can get them cheaper. But the colors don't appear to match all the time. I was hoping to get some of you to say yes or no so I could show him this thread and prove that there is a difference. I want him to order Sylvania.
    Yes
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, they look fine from my office. Maybe even his.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen lay-in fixtures where the ones closer to a HVAC diffuser looked whiter due to the colder air blowing across the lamps.

So yes, it can be tough to get all the lamps to be the same color. You have a better chance by staying with the exact same brand and model number of lamp.

Also, I'm not sure, but I would suspect that if the color rendering index is different, that might also make the lamps look like a slightly different color. A 735 lamp may not look exactly the same as an 835, even though they are both supposed to be 3500K.