User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Different color light from different manufacturers?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    38,813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSnowman View Post
    Appreciate all the input but I asked a very simple question...Do the colors of different brands of the same K rating fluorescent lamps match perfectly or are they slightly different? Almost all of the light fixtures in our buildings are Sylvania. The boss has been ordering GE equivalents because he can get them cheaper. But the colors don't appear to match all the time. I was hoping to get some of you to say yes or no so I could show him this thread and prove that there is a difference. I want him to order Sylvania.
    It was mentioned you can even have some difference from batch to batch on the same line.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Posts
    7,229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    180224-2115 EST

    DrSnowman:

    Are you saying that you see a color difference, but your boss can not? If bulbs from two different manufactures are in the same fixture, then it should be easy to do a color and intensity comparison.

    Your boss might have a color blindness that prevents him from seeing what you see.

    .

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    38,813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gar View Post
    180224-2115 EST

    DrSnowman:

    Are you saying that you see a color difference, but your boss can not? If bulbs from two different manufactures are in the same fixture, then it should be easy to do a color and intensity comparison.

    Your boss might have a color blindness that prevents him from seeing what you see.

    .
    I agree, but also would think is possible to see noticable differences in same make/model if one is new and the other is already at half rated operating hours.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    1,041
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a color shift after lamps have been ran a while compared to new ones.
    It seem from what I’ve experienced is that it tends to get warmer in color.
    I know, one would think if something is given a rating it should be across the board.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Posts
    7,229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    180225-1009 EST

    A K rating can only relate to a "black body" radiator where it has a unique definition. Anything else is an approximation.

    .

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,465
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Forhuman (new word) might be color blind to the point of the cost difference.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sameguy View Post
    The Forhuman (new word) might be color blind to the point of the cost difference.
    Unlikely to change unless someone higher up the food chain says "These color differences look like crap. Fix it."

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Clarkesville, Georgia
    Posts
    2,277
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSnowman View Post
    Appreciate all the input but I asked a very simple question...Do the colors of different brands of the same K rating fluorescent lamps match perfectly or are they slightly different? Almost all of the light fixtures in our buildings are Sylvania. The boss has been ordering GE equivalents because he can get them cheaper. But the colors don't appear to match all the time. I was hoping to get some of you to say yes or no so I could show him this thread and prove that there is a difference. I want him to order Sylvania.
    Yes
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    10,300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSnowman View Post
    Appreciate all the input but I asked a very simple question...Do the colors of different brands of the same K rating fluorescent lamps match perfectly or are they slightly different? Almost all of the light fixtures in our buildings are Sylvania. The boss has been ordering GE equivalents because he can get them cheaper. But the colors don't appear to match all the time. I was hoping to get some of you to say yes or no so I could show him this thread and prove that there is a difference. I want him to order Sylvania.
    Honestly, they look fine from my office. Maybe even his.
    Tom
    TBLO

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6,940
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen lay-in fixtures where the ones closer to a HVAC diffuser looked whiter due to the colder air blowing across the lamps.

    So yes, it can be tough to get all the lamps to be the same color. You have a better chance by staying with the exact same brand and model number of lamp.

    Also, I'm not sure, but I would suspect that if the color rendering index is different, that might also make the lamps look like a slightly different color. A 735 lamp may not look exactly the same as an 835, even though they are both supposed to be 3500K.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •