Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Service Entrance Grounding

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesco View Post
    It can't just sit there on the grounded conductor. It's looking for mother earth.

http://www.nemasurge.org/grounding/
    Grounded conductor is connected to earth or it wouldn't be called a grounded conductor.

But how much resistance to earth is acceptable? NEC alone doesn't really give us much for limitations other then a single ground rod has to be less then 25 ohms or be supplemented.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Grounded conductor is connected to earth or it wouldn't be called a grounded conductor.

But how much resistance to earth is acceptable? NEC alone doesn't really give us much for limitations other then a single ground rod has to be less then 25 ohms or be supplemented.
    What if it's 265 ohms?

What if it's 265 ohms?
    If it is a single rod you have to drive a second rod to comply with NEC. Chances are it doesn't get lowered by much though. Now if you have some specification or other desire to be below a certain level - then you have some more work to do.

And if you just drive two rods to begin with - to comply with NEC you are done, no requirement to even measure it. It could still be 265 ohms.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

What if it's 265 ohms?
    What do you have for a grounding electrode system at your house? You seem to think it is very important, so I assume you have something elaborate with low resistance at your house?
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"