Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Meter has rigid conduit to disconnect

Quote Originally Posted by cduke103 View Post
    Hey Mike or forum, can you answer a quick question please? Theres Rigid pipe from meter to a disconnect. Rigid pipe can not be changed at this time. I know pvc is preferred method because of parallel paths. Would threading a PVC male end to Rigid pipe entering Disconnect be an acceptable solution?
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    There are many parallel paths in the line side of the service disconnect. In a building with multiple services there are parallel paths on the GEC's, metal raceways, etc.
    Yes, and, since current takes ALL available paths, if there is any unbalance current at the Main Bonding Jumper(s), ALL of those "many parallel paths will be current carrying. On the LINE side of the Main Bonding Jumper, this is simply normal.
    Another Al in Minnesota

In a major AHJ I work in, rigid is the only wiring method allowed on the line side of the service disco.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    In a major AHJ I work in, rigid is the only wiring method allowed on the line side of the service disco.
    It's the craziest thing, you go on the east coast and it's all unfused SE cable hanging off every house waiting for a chance to kill somebody.

Here we don't have to use rigid only, emt or pvc is okay, but at least it's some protection.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    It's the craziest thing, you go on the east coast and it's all unfused SE cable hanging off every house waiting for a chance to kill somebody.

Here we don't have to use rigid only, emt or pvc is okay, but at least it's some protection.
    Yeah I've seen SE cable stapled to the side of buildings in textbooks. I personally think it's asinine. Here in Wisconsin unfused service conductors go in pipe.

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

I may seem mongrel and unsafe to y'all who arent use to it, but can you point to any history of problems or decrease in safety? I live in the land of SE and I have never seen nor heard of any issues. What I think is ridiculous is when states like Washington dont allow it despite a solid track record for nearly a century in many parts of the country.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    I may seem mongrel and unsafe to y'all who arent use to it, but can you point to any history of problems or decrease in safety? I live in the land of SE and I have never seen nor heard of any issues. What I think is ridiculous is when states like Washington dont allow it despite a solid track record for nearly a century in many parts of the country.
    Just the thought of a thin layer of flexible plastic between unfused service conductors and a stray nail makes me feel uneasy. The cost of 2 inch schedule 80 PVC is insignificant. Why would you not install it in conduit? Also the SE cable stapled to the side of a building is a terrible eyesore Imo

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

SE cable is like old people on the beach in speedos and bikinis, sure it's allowed, but there's a lot of good reasons to avoid it.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSparks View Post
    Just the thought of a thin layer of flexible plastic between unfused service conductors and a stray nail makes me feel uneasy. The cost of 2 inch schedule 80 PVC is insignificant. Why would you not install it in conduit? Also the SE cable stapled to the side of a building is a terrible eyesore Imo

beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and what you are used to. Personally, I hate PVC for above ground. I would rather see SE cable.

SE cable is like old people on the beach in speedos and bikinis, sure it's allowed, but there's a lot of good reasons to avoid it.
    What reasons?

"You can't generalize"

What reasons?
    Do you really want to see a picture of me in a speedo?

Do you really want to see a picture of me in a speedo?

"You can't generalize"