Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garage grounding and bonding questions.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSparks View Post
    If only there were a roll your eyes emoticon.

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk
    I left emoticons out because it's a legitimate question, albeit presented in a smart alecky way. What performance of two measly 5/8" ground rods is lost if the rods are laying in a trench?
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    I left emoticons out because it's a legitimate question, albeit presented in a smart alecky way. What performance of two measly 5/8" ground rods is lost if the rods are laying in a trench?
    You make a good point. The difference in performance as far as lower impedance to Earth ground is miniscule but when the ground rods are driven into compacted soil rather than being lain in a trench and Loosely covered with soil. Even if you use a tamper to compact the soil you still not achieve optimal results

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSparks View Post
    You make a good point. The difference in performance as far as lower impedance to Earth ground is miniscule but when the ground rods are driven into compacted soil rather than being lain in a trench and Loosely covered with soil. Even if you use a tamper to compact the soil you still not achieve optimal results

I can agree that it will usually result in lower impedance, but it matters because...

it makes the "dirt worshippers" happy?

I appreciate the replies and the discussion that has ensued, my question has been answered thoroughly.

There are no shared metal systems, like pipes, between the garage and the house.
    The only connection is the overhead wire which is existing and will not be rewired until I get the gumption up to do the house.

The garages cement slab on the wall with the panel is 24 feet wide but there is a sidewalk and fence part way, I could space the rods out at most 20 feet if this gives me better grounding then I will do so, with them being driven vertically.

If 20 feet is crazy wide I could space them closer.

When I do eventually replace the feeder, would running it underground be a better option to the overhead wire, or is there no preference when both methods are an option?
    Last edited by Spider0804; 03-06-18 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider0804 View Post
    I appreciate the replies and the discussion that has ensued, my question has been answered thoroughly.

There are no shared metal systems, like pipes, between the garage and the house.
    The only connection is the overhead wire which is existing and will not be rewired until I get the gumption up to do the house.

The garages cement slab on the wall with the panel is 24 feet wide but there is a sidewalk and fence part way, I could space the rods out at most 20 feet if this gives me better grounding then I will do so, with them being driven vertically.

If 20 feet is crazy wide I could space them closer.

When I do eventually replace the feeder, would running it underground be a better option to the overhead wire, or is there no preference when both methods are an option?
    Code wise there is no preference.

Appearance wise, underground is always a cleaner look.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.