Is this asbestos sheeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm doing a remodel on a house. The the siding is stripped and the "sheeting" is some kind of 1"/1 1/4" insulating board. The mason thought it was asbestos, it seemed like cellulose. I couldn't read brand on it. Somebody mentioned "fuzz board" anyone have any leads?????:?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
So I'm doing a remodel on a house. The the siding is stripped and the "sheeting" is some kind of 1"/1 1/4" insulating board. The mason thought it was asbestos, it seemed like cellulose. I couldn't read brand on it. Somebody mentioned "fuzz board" anyone have any leads?????:?

Picture would be nice!:happyyes:

Yeah that was kinda vague huh. I'll try to arrow. I tried google images and there is similar stuff . It's black finish and brown within . I'll try a pic. Thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Except for being so thick it sounds like Celotex. That stuff was only 1/2" thick, at least the stuff I am familiar with. It was all the rage in the 70's.
Celotex is a brand name. They eventually got into foamboard insulation with the changing of times, but did have a large share of the fiberboard insulation market cornered. I know it also came in a 3/4" version. Don't recall if thicker was made or not... at least by Celotex.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cel...QoTCPu-0eq_xscCFQQ1PgodkywMnw&biw=948&bih=969

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have Celotex sheathing on my house. It's a pretty good insulator but that's about it. It strong enough to hold a cedar shake nail and not much more. When I had my house vinyl sided, after wrapping the house with Tyvec the workers had to locate all the studs to nail the siding on otherwise it would have fallen off. Yeah, it was the rage years ago but only because it was cheap.

mgookin

Is there a GC on the job?

Are any other trades having concern with it?

Down here in FL, as far as environmental state regulations, single family is exempt from the requirement to do an asbestos survey unless public money is involved in the project. That does not mean OSHA or another agency or insurance company is going to have the same position on it.

If nothing else, hire a professional asbestos surveyor and let it fall on them to figure it out.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Usually if it's old asbestos siding, it's so hard that you can't drive a nail in it without causing it to break.

There is also a cement-based replacement product for the original thin asbestos product. We were doing a remodel on our circa 1920's house and it had the asbestos siding. You have to pre-drill both products. You can't really tell the difference without a microscope to check the fibers.

Tony S

If you’re that worried about it get it tested.

Asking on the internet will not give definite answers. In the UK it falls under environmental health legislation. I’m sure you’ll have the equivalent legislation.

If Blue asbestos is involved and you work on it you would be looking at “endangering public health” charges.

Willie B

I've not seen thick puffy asbestos board. A 1939 book I have touts Homasote, (cellulose board) as the sheathing of the future.

So I was on another job. The carpenters said it's not asbestos. The house was built in late sixties early seventies. Apparently I should ask for help on adding pic attachments too lol. Thanks for input..:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.