Generator and back up load circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

electro7

Occupation
Electrician, Solar and Electrical Contractor
When installing a back up generator with a separate back up loads panel, do I need to relocate the EGC's and neutrals in the back up loads panel as well? I thought I remember that the code requires the neutrals to land in the same panel as the hots, is that right and if so what is the code reference? Same with the equipment grounds?
Thanks!

templdl

When installing a back up generator with a separate back up loads panel, do I need to relocate the EGC's and neutrals in the back up loads panel as well? I thought I remember that the code requires the neutrals to land in the same panel as the hots, is that right and if so what is the code reference? Same with the equipment grounds?
Thanks!

Subpanel?
Sir you were also not vey specific about the genset how are the neutral and you d configured at the genset? You also did not describe if the transfer switch had a switching neutral or not.probable not. But more importantly how is the genset configured?
My concern is that you may be asking a loaded question and without knowing the complete EGC and N configurations as well as your nonfamiliarity of what a subpanel is of some concern to me .

electro7

Occupation
Electrician, Solar and Electrical Contractor
Automatic transfer switch without a main breaker. No switching of neutral. It is a Generac. Taking branch circuits that were landed in the meter/main combo panel and rerouting to the back up loads panel. These are the circuits I am asking about. Do the neutrals and the egcs need to land in the back up loads panel (sub-panel) where the ungrounded conductors are terminating? Does that make sense?

300.3(B) talks about the conductors in the same raceway. Do I assume they have to terminate in the same panel with this code reference? That doesn't seem real clear to me.

david

normally branch circuits originate at a distribution panel with a chapter three wiring method I thought 300.3 (B) would be a good reference for your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.