Gen set Vs UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toros

Hi ,
one of my customer needs to know which emergency back up system is less expensive for the new in-coming tenant operating as private surgon with a surgery room in that buldg.
also note that, there is no room extra available in the bldg but plenty of parking areas.

Generator set or batteries ?????

Do you know who is the good provider or manufactorer for battery / UPS system??

Tanx

templdl

Hi ,
one of my customer needs to know which emergency back up system is less expensive for the new in-coming tenant operating as private surgon with a surgery room in that buldg.
also note that, there is no room extra available in the bldg but plenty of parking areas.

Tanx

What KW is required and for how long? Also, the type of load of load as well as of there is an allowable power interruption time before emergency power kicks in.

ron

They are different functions. UPS offers seamless coverage for the length of battery capacity. Generators often need several seconds to provide coverage.

Most use both so the batteries don't have to be sized for >5 minutes.

Besoeker

What KW is required and for how long? Also, the type of load of load as well as of there is an allowable power interruption time before emergency power kicks in.
Yes, not enough information.
Rating?
Autonomy?
Application?
Any particular legislation/codes of practice applicable?

We have supplied quite quite a few UPS systems to cinemas in UK. These were to maintain power for emergency exit signs and lighting in the event of a power failure. They had to comply with the Cinemagraphic Code of Practice.

One of the requirements in that code was that the autonomy (back up duration) had to be not less than three hours. Three hours to evacuate a cinema??
You may ask why? The short answer is that I simply don't know but I wasn't about to complain. The units were typically 30kVA or above so that was a LOT of batteries.

templdl

Wouldn't it have made sense to use an emergency light with battery back-up and a small Genset to feed the emergency circuits?

All this stuff is simply conjecture without consulting with the user regarding their needs. But I must say it would be fun to continue shooting at shadows though.
What needs to be done is to talk to the user regarding what their needs are.

Sahib

Hi ,

Since a surgery room is involved, uninterrupted power supply is a must. So I would recommend both Generator set and UPS working in tandem.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
There are probably regulations for surgery centers covering this, because it's not like you can just tell everyone to leave within 10 minutes before the batteries die. I once consulted with Coscto Corporate on this issue for their stores. My project involved a UPS for the back room servers in each store so that if power failed during the time it was transmitting data to HQ, the data was not lost or corrupted. In that process, I discussed backing up the cash registers so that they could finish whatever transactions were in progress and not have to return all that food to the shelves. They decided it wasn't worth it because some building or fire regulation said that unless they had a backup generator, they had to clear the building in 10 minutes, no ifs ands or buts.

Hi ,

Tanx
There are many options to consider.
The total and projected critical load!
Is the property leased or owned?
If leased, you have many more issues to consider prior to a Gen set!
Noting your statement of no space in the property, is that regarding the potential use of a Gen set or just installing a UPS battery backup within the property?

Either way, your expansion issues include, 24 hour cooling for UPS system.

Use a Gen set, then you have other Tennant concerns. Engineering for that could be very expensive if allowed by the property owners.

Then you have cooling fin spacing on your genset radiator, if your planning on adding life safety for the entire property or just one Tennant. The specs on the generators will tell you if it is rated for Industrial or Commercial Business Park use. The DBA' rating would have to be low enough to not bother other owners and Tennant's in the same community. And or if your near residential homes or not?

If fixed load is known, then, I would consider a modular UPS, i.e. AC or others, find the space for cooling and storage, ensure that your only using sealed no maintenance batteries.

If Owned, and your future clients could be the same type of end users, then, I would look at a long term plan to include the ability to expand, with no intiruption to current or future client loads.

Obviously, a smaller UPS would heal the wound, but not serve the long term goal.

Correct planning and budgeting is obviously a great tax tool with respect to installing UPS and or Genset, as spare parts for both can be included in or added to the Capex or business expense, adding not only installed as is, but maintaining spare parts as well.

This would reduce the operating expense to the client when something goes wrong and ensure 100% uptime for client. If that's what you or the client are considering!

FYI

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Haji

Banned
One of the requirements in that code was that the autonomy (back up duration) had to be not less than three hours. Three hours to evacuate a cinema??
No. Perhaps it is related to the duration of shows: some may last up to two and half hours as do regular Indian film shows here.:)

Besoeker

No. Perhaps it is related to the duration of shows: some may last up to two and half hours as do regular Indian film shows here.:)
I think you rather missed the point. See post #4.
The UPS systems were for emergency lighting in the event of a power failure. The show would not go on.

Haji

Banned
I think you rather missed the point. See post #4.
The UPS systems were for emergency lighting in the event of a power failure. The show would not go on.
Suppose in the UPS system, the mains failed due to internal fault and battery supply is on during the show time. During evacuation after show time, if both main supply and emergency lighting battery supply fails, it may result in any untoward incidents.

Besoeker

Suppose in the UPS system, the mains failed due to internal fault and battery supply is on during the show time. During evacuation after show time, if both main supply and emergency lighting battery supply fails, it may result in any untoward incidents.
Nice try.

Status
Not open for further replies.