User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 volt distribution system for house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drcampbell View Post
    Unless it's a very small house, I²R losses will exceed inverter losses.
    Yes. Lower volts, higher currents. Possibly/probably larger conductors for some things.
    Our electric kettle is 3kW...........at 12V................'nuff said.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    Yes. Lower volts, higher currents. Possibly/probably larger conductors for some things.
    Our electric kettle is 3kW...........at 12V................'nuff said.
    Well, check with the truckers. I have used a portable kettle in my ford transit and my Nissan Frontier with no problem, but, the 24 volt version does heat up faster. Also, if you check in certain areas, there are a load of 12 and 24 volt gear that is not RV style... I can buy bulbs in Jamaica in either 12 or 24 volt, that fit in ES or BC or even mini BC fittings,and also full size fans and ceiling fans. Certain companies in the USA sell full size freezers, and I have seen them used in the USA and Jamaica with a group of solar panels wired through a charge controller to a small bank of deep cells, and wired to the freezer. Same with Fridge units...
    but these things do not fit in your RV, and are more costly than AC units so it is a trade off. However, I understand even the Amish are starting to use the solar panels direct to such items.