Making my own lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on making some of my own lighting to sell. I was going to try and find some wall mounts that I would mount my own made sconces. My question to all of you is if I need to worry about UL listing or any other types of regulatory problems. I'm not going to mass produce them. But if they take off I will make a decent amount. Any help would be great.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I plan on making some of my own lighting to sell. I was going to try and find some wall mounts that I would mount my own made sconces. My question to all of you is if I need to worry about UL listing or any other types of regulatory problems. I'm not going to mass produce them. But if they take off I will make a decent amount. Any help would be great.

i'm pretty sure you will need a UL listing to sell them in the US.

a pretty good friend of mine does UL listing for a sign company.
if you are interested, shoot me a private message, and i'll ask
him about it.

jumper

410.6 Listing Required. All luminaires and lampholders
shall be listed.

Listed. Equipment, materials, or services included in a list
published by an organization that is acceptable to the authority
having jurisdiction and concerned with evaluation
of products or services, that maintains periodic inspection
of production of listed equipment or materials or periodic
evaluation of services, and whose listing states that either
the equipment, material, or service meets appropriate designated
standards or has been tested and found suitable for
a specified purpose.

Informational Note: The means for identifying listed
equipment may vary for each organization concerned with
product evaluation, some of which do not recognize equipment
as listed unless it is also labeled. Use of the system
employed by the listing organization allows the authority
having jurisdiction to identify a listed product.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would think that there may be a huge amount of liability if one of your unlisted fixtures started a fire.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I believe it is illegal to sell non listed lighting in the state of Washington. Even if all the parts are listed that does not make the entire product listed.

big john

Have always wanted to do this but without a ETL listing you are probably opening yourself to a world of liability: It wouldn't matter if the customer got hurt because they decided to lick the sockets, it would still be your problem.

At the very least I would want to carry some sort of umbrella insurance policy with a very high cap.

kevinkk

listing or no does not limit your liability. (in re to manufacturing)

if the fixture is NON LED you can get a general UL listing that covers all fixture you make.

if they are LED don't bother if you are doing a small quantity, as each fixture model will have to be listed, quickly erasing any profit potential.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Close to me there is a lighting shop (been there for a long time) that makes custom lighting fixtures. As far as I know he does not have them NRTL tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.