aerial pole mounted recepticals

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool95673

existing condition @ outdoor storage facility.. there are aerial poles drops to panels, lights, receptacles, etc.. there is no overcurrent protection on some of these existing receptacle..they come directly from an aerial tap through a weather head to a box with one duplex receptacle. Is this code compliant or should i instal GFIC receptacles?. does this fall under the 10" tap rule?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
existing condition @ outdoor storage facility.. there are aerial poles drops to panels, lights, receptacles, etc.. there is no overcurrent protection on some of these existing receptacle..they come directly from an aerial tap through a weather head to a box with one duplex receptacle. Is this code compliant or should i instal GFIC receptacles?. does this fall under the 10" tap rule?

GFCIs will not provide any overcurrent protection for the wiring.

Is it possible that appropriate overcurrent protection for the receptacles is supplied by whatever is feeding the aerial wiring? if so, it is not a tap.

my guess would be that your application would come under the ten foot tap rule if it is indeed a tap.

if the receptacle is outside, it probably needs to be GFCI protected. that protection could come from whatever is feeding it though. you probably would have to have weather resistant GFCIs as well as in use covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.