View Poll Results: Does this comply with the NEC 2014?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

0 0%
  • No

18 100.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SO Cord in Residence - You Make the Call Please?

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Those angle connectors seem to be a popular method HVAC contractors use to run 18/3 SO out of their furnace/air handler cabinet to feed the condensate pump. Screws tightened all the way, the connector doesn't come close to grabbing the cable (as I suspect is the same for this post).

-Hal
    OP says it is for an oven. I suspect at least 12 AWG, maybe even 10 AWG cord. 1/2 cord could come close to not clamping tight 10 AWG probably does clamp pretty well.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    OP says it is for an oven. I suspect at least 12 AWG, maybe even 10 AWG cord. 1/2 cord could come close to not clamping tight 10 AWG probably does clamp pretty well.
    I did not check the gauge of this cord. However, I did closely inspect the clamps. The angle connector was not really tight on the cord. The straight "two-screw" connector was very tight on the cord. You may be able to see how much it is flattened in the photo.

Thanks again,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by busman View Post
    I did not check the gauge of this cord. However, I did closely inspect the clamps. The angle connector was not really tight on the cord. The straight "two-screw" connector was very tight on the cord. You may be able to see how much it is flattened in the photo.

Thanks again,

Mark
    My comment was mostly coming from experiences with the physical size of such cords and that anything less then 12 AWG 4 conductors is likely not large enough to fit tight in such a connector. Some 10 AWG cords may not even fit tight, but many probably will. If it was supplying an oven, it probably needed at least 10 AWG supply conductor, but the apparent code knowledge of whoever did that - I guess you can't even count on them getting conductor size correct
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.