Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Triad Grounding

Triad Grounding

The ground rods need to be 10 foot apart in a triangle does it matter if the wire between the ground rods are longer then 10 foot and not the same length could two be 10 foot and the third pice of wire be 20 foot?

The distance apart should be equal to or greater than the length of the rods. That said I am not aware of any code or regulations that require triad grounding. May be some telco or cell tower entities. What are you working on?

1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4BILI7Y 70 4D4P7 70 CH4NG3.

That arrangement is just a silly job spec, so I would check with the them if you have doubts about how to do it the way they want.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by luckylerado View Post
    The distance apart should be equal to or greater than the length of the rods. That said I am not aware of any code or regulations that require triad grounding. May be some telco or cell tower entities. What are you working on?
    I am working on a natural gas metering station. yes the ground rods need to be 10 foot or greater but is it necessary for the trench to be dug in a triangle. i don't think so but don't really know. to me the wire is insulated so the only true ground would be the ground rods and the resistance in the wire is so small i don't believe it will mater. any opinions.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noppe View Post
    I am working on a natural gas metering station. yes the ground rods need to be 10 foot or greater but is it necessary for the trench to be dug in a triangle. i don't think so but don't really know. to me the wire is insulated so the only true ground would be the ground rods and the resistance in the wire is so small i don't believe it will mater. any opinions.
    The triangle thing is pure voodoo but there are certain Dirt Worshippers who put a lot of faith in the power of the triangle.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

So if a Triad is what you are doing then yes, a triangle shape is pretty much guaranteed if you are spacing the rods roughly equal distance apart from each other rod. What other shape do three points make right. It might be a wonky looking triangle when you are done but essentially three sided. The key to a triad is making a loop. If the conductor does not loop back and tie to the first rod then you just have three rods, not a triad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	19846

1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4BILI7Y 70 4D4P7 70 CH4NG3.

There are many here who think that this triad is a waste of time and money but if they're paying for it then it's money in the pocket.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    The triangle thing is pure voodoo but there are certain Dirt Worshippers who put a lot of faith in the power of the triangle.
    It is only one dimension removed from a pyramid, so it may have some of the pyramid's power.

why insulate the conductor between them?
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenieur View Post
    why insulate the conductor between them?
    Dude, the magic happens at the corners
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"