User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GFI Requirement?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Wait, didn't you start this thread and ask the question?
    Yes I did. but after one post saying yes and another citing a code reference I re-thought and just decided to do it anyway. I don't have my code book here right now. I am an EE on large data center electrical systems and just happen to have a home remodel project in progress as well. I do not practice residential electrical and thought this would be an easy topic for those who do.

As for the basement, no this is Los Angeles, we don't have basements in residential. But a residential garage does require GFI outlets hence my initial question.

If this upsets everyone, then let's just delete the thread. No big deal.

P.S. Before this gets pounced on, yes i did pull an electrical permit as an owner/builder.
    Last edited by Andy Delle; 03-07-18 at 07:40 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Delle View Post
    Yes I did. but after one post saying yes and another citing a code reference I re-thought and just decided to do it anyway. I don't have my code book here right now. I am an EE on large data center electrical systems and just happen to have a home remodel project in progress as well. I do not practice residential electrical and thought this would be an easy topic for those who do.

P.S. Before this gets pounced on, yes i did pull an electrical permit as an owner/builder.
    No one is upset it's just that at first you seemed to want opinions and then said that you would just use GFCI protection anyway. No big deal, collectively we try to accurately answer the question not just for the original poster but for anyone else who may have the same question. Again no big deal, just that some of us were a little confused.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DELETED----infinity beat me with almost identical response to ops concern about posting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    No one is upset it's just that at first you seemed to want opinions and then said that you would just use GFCI protection anyway. No big deal, collectively we try to accurately answer the question not just for the original poster but for anyone else who may have the same question. Again no big deal, just that some of us were a little confused.
    Sorry, didn't mean to sound defensive. But dare you ask any form of a DIY question over on HVAC talk and you get your butt chewed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Delle View Post

As for the basement, no this is Los Angeles, we don't have basements in residential. But a residential garage does require GFI outlets hence my initial question.

When you enter gray areas like that you should err on the side of caution. Being an engineer I'm sure you know that a human body's impedance to ground is less when standing on a slab on grade

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they're going to wash dogs in there, then it's required. Also as small as the room is, some will likely be as close to as 6 ft of the sink.

On a side note. If their is more then one groomer. I would want two circuits for blow dryers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Parrish View Post
    If they're going to wash dogs in there, then it's required. Also as small as the room is, some will likely be as close to as 6 ft of the sink.

On a side note. If their is more then one groomer. I would want two circuits for blow dryers
    Just as I was getting ready to type my answer, I saw yours.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safety is the #1 concern. They will be cleaning the floors with water/hoses/pressure washer of some sort. Install a GFCI and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Parrish View Post
    If they're going to wash dogs in there, then it's required

What code section would require that?

Jap>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jason414 View Post
    Safety is the #1 concern. They will be cleaning the floors with water/hoses/pressure washer of some sort. Install a GFCI and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's doubtful with Sheetrock walls and floors.

Jap>