Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GFI Requirement?

GFI Requirement?

10x13sqft residential addition used for show dog grooming (not a business). Los Angeles County. Drywalled including ceiling. Bare concrete floor but sealed. Are GFI outlets required?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Delle View Post
    10x13sqft residential addition used for show dog grooming (not a business). Los Angeles County. Drywalled including ceiling. Bare concrete floor but sealed. Are GFI outlets required?
    You should just because of the concrete floor. Is it required by code? Probably

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Look at 210.8(A) and see if anything there is applicable- your description is a little too vague to be conclusive if GFCI would be req by the NEC.

In looking again at the plan, I can run all the outlets in a loop. Then I just need a GFI outlet at the first box. Cheap solution!

In looking again at the plan, I can run all the outlets in a loop. Then I just need a GFI outlet at the first box. Cheap solution!
    But GFCI may not be required, which is what you asked us in the op.

Did you find anything that warrants GFCI per the NEC?

And if you didn't and were going to do it anyway, why ask?
    Last edited by user 100; 03-07-18 at 05:13 PM. Reason: clarification

Is it in an unfinished basement or other room covered under 210.8? Just because there is a concrete floor doesn't mean that GFCI protection is required. A concrete floor in a finished basement would not require GFCI protection.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Since this is a 10x13 addition, I doubt they are going to dig a hole under the existing house to put the addition in, making me doubt it will actually be considered a basement, which would make me doubt it would need GFI protection on the receptacle outlets.

JAP>

Quote Originally Posted by user 100 View Post
    And if you didn't and were going to do it anyway, why ask?
    I asked to see if it was a NEC requirement. Seems there are still questions so why not just install one at the loop start and be done with it. For $10 why argue?

I asked to see if it was a NEC requirement. Seems there are still questions so why not just install one at the loop start and be done with it. For $10 why argue?
    And you did not provide additional info, so we cannot answer anything---is it below ground/are there sink(s) etc.... just thinking something is a good idea is worlds apart from actually being required.

And you did get a code reference telling you exactly where to look in the NEC.... so what did you find? IOWs, did you conclude GFCI protection is required per the NEC?

Wait, didn't you start this thread and ask the question?
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted