Thread: NEC 517.34(B) Equipment Branch

NEC 517.34(B) Equipment Branch

In NEC 517.34(B) for the electrical loads listed, when this code section says:

"(B) Equipment for Delayed Automatic or Manual Connection. The following equipment "shall be permitted" to be arranged for either delayed automatic or manual connection to the alternate power source"

By saying the statement above in this way it sounds like the electrical loads/equipment are allowed to be on the equipment branch but not required to be on the equipment branch.

I have some sterilizers in a hospital that were circuited to the normal branch of the electrical system and now I am debating with my colleagues if they are in violation of article 517.34(B)(6) which states that:

"Minimal electrically heated autoclaving equipment "shall be permitted" to be arranged for either automatic or manual connection to the alternate source."

Is 517.34(B) optional to comply with or do these loads have to be on the equipment branch?

After first reading 517.34 I thought that it was required that they be connected to the equipment branch with either delayed or automatic connection. Then I read the commentary after 517.34(B)1 Exception that states "Delayed connection of the loads listed in this section is optional, rather than mandatory."
    Name:  517.34.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  16.4 KB

I think "shall be permitted" always means permitted but not required.

Seems like that's even stated somewhere - maybe in the very front?

Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    I think "shall be permitted" always means permitted but not required.

Seems like that's even stated somewhere - maybe in the very front?
    Yeah it is in the front. Article 90 I think. Shall be permitted is not a requirement

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Yes, "shall be permitted" basically means "cannot be prohibited."
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA