User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW FREQUENTLY GROUNDING RESISTANCE NEEDS TO BE INSPECTED ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HOW FREQUENTLY GROUNDING RESISTANCE NEEDS TO BE INSPECTED ??

Is there a Code or standard that stipulates a time period, within which the testing of Earth Resistance for an installation must be carried out to see whether the earthing system is working or not??

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anwar Pasha View Post
    Is there a Code or standard that stipulates a time period, within which the testing of Earth Resistance for an installation must be carried out to see whether the earthing system is working or not??
    Since the NEC does not specify any direct performance metrics for a building Ground Electrode System (GES) it also says nothing about testing.
    Other industry specific codes or manuals of good practice, such as those of the utilities (the NESC) and the Communications industry (a Motorola document?), may go into performance rather than just design specifications, but I am not familiar enough with them to relate them to your question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just out of curiosity, what is it you think a earthing system does for most installations?
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The NEC is an installation standard, not a maintenance standard.
    I have heard that the Mine Safety Administration requires ground resistance testing.

For 99% of our installations we don't care what the earth resistance is. Exceptions are for radio comm sites, and similar. The most important part of an electrical system is the bonding part and returning electrons to their source. Grounding plays no role in line to case fault.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Since the NEC does not specify any direct performance metrics for a building Ground Electrode System (GES) it also says nothing about testing.
    Other industry specific codes or manuals of good practice, such as those of the utilities (the NESC) and the Communications industry (a Motorola document?), may go into performance rather than just design specifications, but I am not familiar enough with them to relate them to your question.
    Just curious.

How do you quantify performance of a grounding system?

I have worked on grounding systems on radar stations where all metal structural members in contact with earth have exo- welded wires that are tied together and buried.

Along with these wires a copper sheet ~12 inches wide are also buried along the perimeter of the building. . . usually those geodesic-shaped buildings that look like half a golf ball atop a high point.

I've never been sent back to take readings to check ground resistance later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You posted your question on the wrong type of forum.
    Your answers are found in the IEEE Green Book.
    Here is good white paper on Earth grounding that may help you in finding the answers to your questions.

http://www.cpccorp.com/deep.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesco View Post
    Here is good white paper on Earth grounding that may help you in finding the answers to your questions.

This paper utilizes field data taken from over 140 deep driven electrodes installed over a 5 year period in several states.
    I've never been quite that enthusiastic.......~RJ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesco View Post

I know them. Another one of these scam "grounding expert" companies. Nothing but nonsense. I read one of their case studies a while back. They fixed a few very basic things with bonding jumpers, the GEC and electrodes, installed some surge protection AND did all this deep earth stuff. the client didnt have any more trouble. Must be the deep earth grounding
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    .... Must be the deep earth grounding
    How important is that in relationship to the triangle?
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    How important is that in relationship to the triangle?
    Obviously three deep earth electrodes in a triangle offers the most complete protection for personnel and equipment
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"