Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
See 110.26(E)(1)

Roger
That gives the OP the rules about working space, which would be an issue if the sound cabinet is surface mounted. If the A/V is also recessed into a flush mount (box on other side of wall, for example) then working space would not be violated.
If both are surface mounted, bring the panel forward to be flush with the front of the A/V cabinet to clear the working space provision. BUT read on.
If A/V and the panel are both recessed into the wall or both surface mounted then dedicated space (110.26(E)(1)) comes into play and you and the inspector can argue all day as to whether or not the A/V is part of the electrical system or is a foreign system. :)

jumper

That gives the OP the rules about working space, which would be an issue if the sound cabinet is surface mounted. If the A/V is also recessed into a flush mount (box on other side of wall, for example) then working space would not be violated.
If both are surface mounted, bring the panel forward to be flush with the front of the A/V cabinet to clear the working space provision. BUT read on.
If A/V and the panel are both recessed into the wall or both surface mounted then dedicated space (110.26(E)(1)) comes into play and you and the inspector can argue all day as to whether or not the A/V is part of the electrical system or is a foreign system. :)

Goldy, Roger gave the rule for dedicated space not working space.

Note that if the panel is flush mounted and the cabinet is surface mounted above 6.5' or the top of the panel,which ever is greater, neither working space or dedicated space would be infringed upon.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
That gives the OP the rules about working space, which would be an issue if the sound cabinet is surface mounted.
As Derek, says I posted the article section for Dedicated Space see illustration (the illustration was from the 99 NEC it is now 110.26(E)(1))

110-26f1.gif

If the A/V is also recessed into a flush mount (box on other side of wall, for example) then working space would not be violated.
Duhhhh, if it's on the other side of the wall there would be no need for this thread.

If both are surface mounted, bring the panel forward to be flush with the front of the A/V cabinet to clear the working space provision.
See illustration again but, even if you could sell that, when conduits or cable are added later (basically the reason for the rule) the AV box will be rendered inaccessible.

BUT read on.
See illustration again.

Roger

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
My thought about the wall box was that the *front* of the A/V is on the panel side, flush, while the equipment is deeper than the wall and sticks out on the other side (in a closet, for example), not that it was accessed from the other side.
I have seen such installations.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
My thought about the wall box was that the *front* of the A/V is on the panel side, flush, while the equipment is deeper than the wall and sticks out on the other side (in a closet, for example), not that it was accessed from the other side.
I have seen such installations.

:blink: Then it's still a violation of the dedicated space rule. When conduits are added they will still render the box inaccessible.

Roger

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
:blink: Then it's still a violation of the dedicated space rule. When conduits are added they will still render the box inaccessible.

Roger
I do not disagree and never did. It would not be a violation of working space though.
Having the panel flush and the A/V surface mounted and less than 6" deep should take care of both, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.